Wednesday 29 May 2024

How many books?

There are always reports about which country read the most books. A while ago, one of my blogger friends talked about that in one of his posts (see here, thank you CyberKitten).

During a visit, my mother counted my books once but she stopped at a thousand. That was about thirty years ago. I would not be able to count them today. I have a list of the fiction and some non-fiction books I read (more than 2000) but those are by far not all the books we have in the house. Not even half.

So, I have no idea. I only keep the books I liked but since I am quite picky in which ones I start, there are not that many that I don't keep. LOL

According to statistics, 53% of German citizens had fewer than 50 books, 23% had 50-100 and only 6% had over 200 books at home. On average, around 100 books per person (household). The statistics are from 2008. Then my household is certainly in the 6% with around 1000 books. And if they had another part with several thousands, we'd be in there.

I doubt I need to ask any of my fellow bloggers what group they belong to. All I know is, we always had a lot of books in our house. We always read to our children. They both became avid readers.

If you are interested in the nitty-gritty, I did find some information on how many books are read supposedly in Germany. I translated directly from the sites what I thought might be interesting for this post.

"On average, a household with children between the ages of six and 13 has 132 books, and the children have an average of 26 books of their own. In households with higher formal education (high school diploma/university degree), the inventory is significantly higher at 297 books (children: 43 books).

Reading and reading frequency prove to be extremely stable over time.
83% of the population aged 15 and over read at least one book (including e-books) in 2019, and almost 30% even read more than one book per month.

This was the result of a recent YouGov survey (see here).
According to this, 13 percent of Germans estimate their private book collection to be 10 books or fewer, 30 percent to be between 11 and 50 books. According to their own estimates, 22 percent have between 51 and 100 books on their shelves, and one in three (31 percent) have even more.

April 23 is celebrated as World Book and Copyright Day following a decision by the 28th General Conference of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in 1995. (see here). In India, the country where the most books are read in the world, every citizen spends about 10 hours and 42 minutes reading per week.

Research has shown that reading books regularly can likely help reduce the risk of dementia.
Researchers found that the disease rate was lower in intellectually active people. And not only that. Normally, the performance of the brain decreases with age. 

Although people still read a lot in Germany, who reads how much is unevenly distributed. The biggest readers are those aged 50-59; in this age group, 28 percent read almost every day."

"An average of 151 books in German households

The study collected data from adults between the ages of 25 and 65 from 31 countries. The results were astonishing: The average number of books per household is 115, with Scandinavian and former Soviet countries showing the highest number at 212.

The front runner is Estonia with 218. The lowest number of books is in Turkish households with an average of 27, while Germany is in the upper midfield with 151.

The research shows that with about 80 books in the home library, the children's literacy rate increases to average.

The connection between reading books and professional success, or at least a higher future salary, is also clear in a 2012 study by the economist Giorgio Brunello. If adolescents voluntarily read at least ten books in their youth, they earn around 21 percent more as adults. The amazing thing was that the type of books read had no influence on the result. The main thing is that there were ten or more..." (see here)

14 comments:

  1. From what I've read, Iran is a very literary society, so I'd be interested in knowing how they "stack up". Another website indicates that the Netherlands are extreme outliers in Europe, reading far more than the rest:

    https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/annual-per-capita-consumption-books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephen. There are so many different lists on the internet, and every country does it slightly different. It is hard to compare by just checking who reads how many on average. In Germany, I get it divided into age groups, in the Netherlands, I get an overall number. There are some that compare countries but they often have just a country or two of every country and it hardly ever has one or the other.
      Then there are others that compare the amount of books bought which - we all know - doesn't say anything about the amount of books read. I can have hundreds of books in the house that I haven't read whereas I can have ten books that are read by ten people each.
      I just find it interesting to see how much reading helps children in later life. My kids read all the time and they both did extremely well in school. I always knew it had something to do with their love of reading.

      Delete
  2. I'm in the US and probably read more than the average. But I don't own books anymore. My collection is under 200, these days. I'm in a Swedish Death Cleaning stage of life and I read library books, almost exclusively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to read more library books, Joy. Unfortunately, the English ones are all translated into German here, so I have to buy them.
      But I think any of us in the blogging community reads more books than the average person.

      Delete
  3. What an interesting study. I'm like you, I own a lot more books than the "average" person. But I work with a lot of people who don't own any books. And I find that really sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally sad indeed, Lark. I often get the question: Did you read all of those books and, even though I have a lot on my TBR pile, I always say "yes" because I keep the ones I didn*t read apart.

      Delete
  4. I prefer to not own books, as we live in an apartment. I read more than the average person, as you know, but we use our library weekly. Sometimes daily in the summer. I have a five shelf bookcase full of books to read but once I am done I will sell them to Half Price Books or donate them. I own my most favorites, so pretty much everything by Dan Jones. A few YA authors I love love love. But I really don't reread, so there is no reason for me to own. I will buy books for Eleanor until the end of time, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the library more when we lived in the Netherlands because they used to have English ones. But I want to read them in the original, so I don't borrow them here. I would love to do what you do, Sarah.

      Delete
    2. I definitely understand wanting to read them in the original language. I love our library system so much because they can also get books from all over the country through interlibrary loan if they do not have a copy/won't be purchasing it.

      Delete
    3. My old library used to do that, as well. If they didn't have it, another one on the system had it. Unfortunately, we only have a little library that is run by volunteers and they don't offer that option. So, I just have to deal with a huge TBR pile. LOL

      Delete
  5. I guess they don't count ebooks? I'm in the 23% as I own about 60 books but that doesn't include books.

    A good education includes reading books so it makes sense for someone to earn more if they had read more but I don't think it's true for everyone. It seems to be a generalization for people who can access books. Those who can't, does this mean they will always stay poor? I wonder.

    Have a lovely day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they ought to count ebooks, Lissa. It doesn't matter how you read them. I don't like reading them but if you read the book as an ebook and I read it on paper, we still read the same words.

      As to the books read, I also think they should include library books. And I think if you can't afford books and don't go to the library, your children will suffer. You will always be better in school when you can read well.

      Delete
  6. Interesting! It's good that even some of the 'low' numbers (like you I have thousands of books but don't know exactly how many) are reassuringly 'high'. I think an average of 151 is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Kitten. There's just the problem that people like us own the books of at least ten others.

      Delete