Saturday 29 June 2024

Six in Six 2024

 
From The Book Jotter

I found this through one of my blogger friends, Emma @ Words and Peace who was made aware of it though Jo @ The Book Jotter. Jo started this in 2012, so congratulations on doing it that long and providing us with a great way to reminisce about our books of the year so far.
She has given us 52 categories from which we can choose six and mention six books that belong into those categories. (But one book can be in several lists, see her rules here).

I have tried to stick to books that I liked but didn't succeed in every category.

Six new authors to me

Fosse, Jon "Morning and Evening " (Morgon og kveld) - 2001 (Goodreads)
Harris, Robert "Fatherland" - 1992
Hyde, Catherine Ryan "When I found you" - 2009
Leky, Mariana "What You Can See From Here" (GE: Was man von hier aus sehen kann) - 2017
Tsumura, Kikuko "There's No Such Thing as an Easy Job" (Konoyoni tayasui shigoto wa na/この世にたやすい仕事はない) - 2015
Uusma, Bea "The Expedition: a Love Story: Solving the Mystery of a Polar Tragedy" (SW: Expeditionen: min kärlekshistoria) - 2013

Six authors I am looking forward to reading more of
Kingsolver, Barbara "Demon Copperhead" - 2022
Orwell, George "The Road to Wigan Pier" - 1937
Şafak, Elif "10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World" - 2019
Taschler, Judith W. "David" (GE: David) - 2017
Towles, Amor "A Gentleman in Moscow" - 2016
Weiler, Jan "The Book of 39 Precious Things" (GE: Das Buch der 39 Kostbarkeiten) - 2011

Six books that took me by the hand and led me into the past
Brontë, Charlotte "The Professor" - 1857
Hamsun, Knut "Growth of the Soil" (NO: Markens Grøde) - 1917
Krall, Hanna "Chasing the King of Hearts" (PL: Król kier znów na wylocie) - 2006
Lessing, Doris "The Grass is Singing" - 1950
Orwell, George "The Road to Wigan Pier" - 1937
Uusma, Bea "The Expedition: a Love Story: Solving the Mystery of a Polar Tragedy" (SW: Expeditionen: min kärlekshistoria) - 2013

Six From the Non-Fiction Shelf
Clinton, Hillary Rodham "It Takes a Village: And Other Lessons Children Teach Us" - 1996
Kerkeling, Hape "Paws off the table! My cats, other cats and me" (GE: Pfoten vom Tisch! Meine Katzen, andere Katzen und ich) - 2021
Tibballs, Geoff "The Good, the Bad and the Wurst. The 100 Craziest Moments from the European Song Contest" - 2016
Tomalin, Claire "Jane Austen - A Life" - 1997
Uusma, Bea "The Expedition: a Love Story: Solving the Mystery of a Polar Tragedy" (SW: Expeditionen: min kärlekshistoria) - 2013
Zierl, Helmut "Follow the Sun. The Summer of my Life" (GE: Follow the Sun. Der Sommer meines Lebens) - 2020

Six classics I have read
Brontë, Charlotte "The Professor" - 1857
Hamsun, Knut "Growth of the Soil" (NO: Markens Grøde) - 1917
Lessing, Doris "The Grass is Singing" - 1950
Orwell, George "The Road to Wigan Pier" - 1937
Shute, Nevil "On the Beach" - 1959 (Goodreads)
Yates, Richard "Revolutionary Road" - 1961

Six pretty book covers
Noort, Tamar "Eternity is a good place" (GE: Die Ewigkeit ist ein guter Ort) - 2023
Shute, Nevil "On the Beach" - 1959
(Goodreads)
Taschler, Judith W. "David" (GE: David) - 2017
Towles, Amor "A Gentleman in Moscow" - 2016
Tsumura, Kikuko "There's No Such Thing as an Easy Job" (Konoyoni tayasui shigoto wa na/この世にたやすい仕事はない) - 2015
Wahl, Caroline "22 Lanes" (GE: 22 Bahnen) - 2023

As you can see, I like the covers quite minimalist. My favourite is the one by Caroline Wahl.

If you like the idea as much as I do, go ahead, choose your own "Six in Six" and let Jo know.


Six in Six 2022.
Six in Six 2023.

6 comments:

  1. It always feels fun to look back and see what I enjoyed and what I didn't, what worked and what did not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally true, Deb, I always enjoy these flashbacks.

      Delete
  2. I was planning to post this on June 6, and somehow forgot. Will post in July instead.
    You chose great categories. Tomalin is a great biographer for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually try to post this at the end of June or the beginning of July, so that I can look back at six months exactly, Emma. But I think there is no rule as to when we have to post this. Enjoy yours.

      Delete
  3. As you know I'm a BIG Orwell fan and intend reading everything he's published. I *think* I now have most of his famous works. I should be able to read at least one/two of them next year.

    I've heard a LOT of good things about Amor Towles & have 'Gentleman' in a stack somewhere. I think I'll start with 'Rules of Civility' (yet again) next year! It could be a busy one... [lol]

    Agreed on the Caroline Wahl cover. It would definitely attract me enough to pick the book up - and maybe even take it home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Kitten. I have not read all of Orwell's great novels but will also try to read at least one every year, like I did now.

      I really liked "A Gentleman in Moscow", even read it a second time this year. So, enjoy.

      "22 Bahnen" has not been translated into English. Yet, I hope. Who knows, you might get the chance one day. It won the award of the German Independent Bookshops last year.

      Delete