Friday 28 June 2024

Mid Year Book Freakout Tag 2024


I found this meme on Read with Stefani's page. What a great idea. Here is the original tag. This is my fourth year of participating.

1. Best book you’ve read so far in 2024

Kingsolver, Barbara
"Demon Copperhead" - 2022

Barbara Kingsolver is one of my favourite authors and this retelling of "Damon Copperfield" by one of my favourite classic authors shows this again.

2. Best sequel you’ve read so far in 2024

I haven't read any sequels this year.

3. New release you haven't read yet but want to

Alvarez, Julia "The Cemetery of Untold Stories" - 2024 (Goodreads)
I read her book "In the Time of the Butterflies" which was a very sad story about a dictator and all his terrors. She is a great author and I am looking forward to this book about books.

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year

Chevalier, Tracy
"
The Glassmaker" (Goodreads)
Also a fantastic author who has given us so much information about history and how women lived during many different times.

5. Biggest disappointment

Ryan, Donal "The Thing About December" - 2013
A book club book that turned out nothing like I expected, dreary and boring.

6. Biggest surprise

Tsumura, Kikuko "There's No Such Thing as an Easy Job" (Konoyoni tayasui shigoto wa na/この世にたやすい仕事はない) - 2015

Another book club book but this one delivered more than I expected.

7. Favourite new author. (Debut or new to you)

Fosse, Jon "Morning and Evening" (Morgon og kveld) - 2001 (Goodreads)
The latest Nobel Prize laureate. I have to read more by him.

8. Newest fictional crush

Zierl, Helmut "
Follow the Sun. The Summer of my Life" (GE: Follow the Sun. Der Sommer meines Lebens) - 2020
I don't get crushes, I don't read the kind of books that give you crushes. But I saw a reading by the author of this autobiography and talked to him afterwards. He's a famous German actor and I had always liked him but he was actually so NICE that I think this would be my crush.

9. Newest favourite character

Selma from
Leky, Mariana "What You Can See From Here" (GE: Was man von hier aus sehen kann) - 2017

10. Book that made you cry

I grew up with three younger brothers which is probably the reason I don't cry easily but I think people would probably cry over
Harris, Robert "Fatherland" - 1992
Şafak, Elif "10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World" - 2019

11. Book that made you happy

I don't read "happy" books but this is both a funny one and a hymn to cats, so a nice story.
Kerkeling, Hape "Paws off the table! My cats, other cats and me" (GE:
Pfoten vom Tisch! Meine Katzen, andere Katzen und ich) - 2021

12. Favourite Book To Movie Adaptation You Saw This Year?

I have only watched one new movie this year, "The Zone of Interest" (IMDb) It's a fantastic film but I have no idea how good an adaptation it was from this book:
Amis, Martin "The Zone of Interest" - 2014 (Goodreads)
13. Favourite Review You’ve Written This Year?

That would be the same as my favourite book so far.

Kingsolver, Barbara
"Demon Copperhead" - 2022


14. Most beautiful book you’ve bought so far this year (or received)


Falcones, Ildefonso "The painter of souls" (El pintor de almas) - 2019 (Goodreads)
Such a great author. Isn't it a beautiful cover?

15. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?

I don't have to read any books. However, I am in two book clubs and the next ones we are going to discuss are:
Kapitelman, Dmitrij "Das Lächeln meines unsichtbaren Vaters" [The smile of my invisible father] - 2016 (Goodreads)
Shute, Nevil "On the Beach" - 1959 (Goodreads)
Keyes, Daniel "Flowers for Algernon" - 1959 (Goodreads)

16. Favourite Book Community Member

I need to mention it every year. It is just as impossible as to say which is your favourite child or which is your all-time favourite author or book. There are so many wonderful people in the blogging community.

Books read so far: 40 (last year it was 51)

Mid Year Book Freakout Tag 2023
Mid Year Book Freakout Tag 2022
Mid Year Book Freakout Tag 2021

* * *

I'm not going to tag anyone but I'm sure a few of you will want to do this. So, feel free to follow that idea but, please, let me know. And Stefani, I'm sure she'll like to know how many are picking up that idea.

6 comments:

  1. I want to read There's No Such Thing as an Easy Job. And I didn't know Tracy Chevalier has a new book coming out. That's exciting. Her books are always so good. Fun book tag! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. I love it. and will carry on doing it because it is so much fun to reminisce about the readings of the last six months. Yes, I'm excited for a new book by Tracy Chevalier. There is always so much to learn with her novels which are always fascinating.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know that Tracy Chevalier is coming out with a new book. I definitely want to read more of her books as well as read more of Barbara Kingsolver's book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either, Lisa. Goodreads always makes me aware of new books coming out by the authors I like. If you haven't read "Demon Copperhead", make sure you do. It's great.

      Delete
  3. How fun. Yet another one for me to put on the list to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Sarah. There are so many fun challenges but you can't do them all. However, this is one that I definitely want to keep doing.

      Delete