Monday 26 August 2024

Keyes, Daniel "Flowers for Algernon"

Keyes, Daniel "Flowers for Algernon" - 1959

This was our international online book club book for August 2024.

I wasn't really keen on reading this, you know how much I dislike science fiction. But this is a different one, yes, it's about science and it's about fictional science but it's got nothing to do with aliens or made-up planets, it wouldn't be an action movie with loud noises if the turned it into a film. Actually, they did turn it into one and it doesn't look like an action movie.

This is an interesting story about a young man who can hardly write his name let alone a decent sentence without any mistakes. They perform an operation on him and his IQ increases to astronomical heights. We see the change in Charlie. Phenomenal. As he understands more and more what they have done to him, the story reaches a different perspective.

Quite a good read.

From the back cover:

"Winner of both the Hugo and Nebula Awards, the powerful, classic story about a man who receives an operation that turns him into a genius...and introduces him to heartache.

Charlie Gordon is about to embark upon an unprecedented journey. Born with an unusually low IQ, he has been chosen as the perfect subject for an experimental surgery that researchers hope will increase his intelligence - a procedure that has already been highly successful when tested on a lab mouse named Algernon.

As the treatment takes effect, Charlie's intelligence expands until it surpasses that of the doctors who engineered his metamorphosis. The experiment appears to be a scientific breakthrough of paramount importance, until Algernon suddenly deteriorates. Will the same happen to Charlie?
"

Daniel Keyes has received both the Hugo Award and the Nebula Award for this novel.

16 comments:

  1. I had to read this one in school. And I remember liking it, but thinking it was really sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not have read it if it wasn't for the book club, Lark. But I had similar feelings to you.

      Delete
  2. I read this eons ago back in my late teens (I think). I remember how affective it was. I remember the movie adaptation being pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a good book for young people, Kitten. But even if you read it late in life, it has its effects.

      Delete
  3. I read this in high school for a class. Memorable story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a big fan of SF either, but this might be something I would like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might, Lisbeth. I was surprised myself.

      Delete
  5. One of the most depressing books I've ever read, but one I still re-read....like 1984.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand, Stephen. We have to remind ourselves of the "big bad world" around us, although, looking at the news nowadays is no difference to reading a dystopian novel.

      Delete
  6. I read this book in school many years ago and thought t was a good read the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a book I should probably reread. I have forgotten many of the plot details as it's been 40 years (or so) since I've read it.

      Delete
    2. Might be a good idea after 40 years though I am sure you have not forgotten the message, Lisa. And it's quite a short story.

      Delete
  7. This story has stuck with me over the years. When I read it (in one sitting) I felt empathy and sadness, and it made me think a lot about intelligence and relationships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely correct there, Lectrice, and you said it beautifully. Thanks.

      Delete