Thursday 15 August 2024

#ThrowbackThursday. July 2011 Part 3

I've been doing Throwback Thursdays for a while but I noticed that I wrote a lot of reviews in a short time when I first started. One of my blogger friends always posts the reviews of one month but that would be too much. So, these are my reviews from the third week of July 2011.

Orwell, George "Animal Farm" - 1945
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others." I think this must be one of the most popular quotes ever. And the most truthful.

Schmitt, Éric-Emmanuel "Monsieur Ibrahim and the Flowers of the Koran" (French: Monsieur Ibrahim et les fleurs du Coran) - 1999
A young Jewish boy in Paris meets a Muslim grocery store owner. The two of them enter a father-son like relationships. 

Pamuk, Orhan "My Name is Red" (Turkish: Benim Adim Kirmizi) - 1998
Orhan Pamuk is one of those rare authors who seem to have reinvented the art of writing. His style is quite unique. Even though he settles his story in the 13th century, it applies to actual problems and facts in a way nobody else seems to be able to do.

Pamuk, Orhan "The Black Book" (Turkish: Kara Kitap) - 1990
A man is looking for his wife who disappeared. He is roaming the streets of Istanbul in order to look back at their past. He mainly relies on the help of two columnists. 

Paton, Alan "Cry, The Beloved Country: A Story of Comfort in Desolation" - 1948
This novel tells a tale of people having to live in a society that reeks of injustice that would later lead to apartheid. 


Read my original reviews, for the links click on the titles.

6 comments:

  1. My Name is Red is one of the best books! I was blown away by that one when I first read it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Lark. I love all of Orhan Pamuk's book but My Name is Red is my absolute favourite.

      Delete
  2. I've only read Animal Farm, ages ago. Maybe in high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you prefer non-fiction, I would recommend "Istanbul" by Orhan Pamuk or "The Museum of Innocence". I think you would then also love to read some of his fiction. He is excellent.

      Delete