Tuesday 20 August 2024

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Sisters

   

"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". It was created because they are particularly fond of lists. It is now hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

This week's topic is a 
Relationship Freebie (Pick a relationship type and choose characters who fit that relationship as it relates to you. So, characters you’d like to date, be friends with, be enemies with, etc. Bookish families you’d like to be a part of, characters you’d want as your siblings, pets you’d like to take for yourself, etc.)

When you grow up with three younger brothers, all you want is a sister. Or a daughter. But I didn't get either. And when I tried to look for books with families with sisters only, I didn't find many. Obviously, I could have used most of Jane Austen's, in four of her six main works there are only daughters in the families. So, I chose the one which would probably have suited me best (I have taken a test once and the result was that I resemble Elinor Dashwood most, I even think that might be true).

The last book is not about real sisters but about friends who are even closer than many sisters. And I have been lucky enough to have friends like that my whole life, some even for most of my life.

Alcott, Louisa May "Little Women- 1868-86

Alvarez, Julia "In the Time of the Butterflies" - 1994

Brown, Eleanor "The Weird Sisters" - 2001

Clayton, Meg Waite "The Wednesday Sisters- 2008 

Eggels, Elle "The House of the Seven Sisters" (NL: Het huis van de zeven zusters) - 1998

Gilbreth, Frank + Gilbreth Carey, Elizabeth "Cheaper by the Dozen" - 1948

Kingsolver, Barbara "The Poisonwood Bible" - 1998

Smiley, Jane "A Thousand Acres" - 1991

Wells, Rebecca "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" - 1998

I have done Top Ten Characters You Would Want as a Family, and they were all sisters. So, you see, that's what I longed for all my life.

📚 Happy Reading! 📚

24 comments:

  1. I had sons and I always wanted daughters---happily, I have several wonderful granddaughters. I do love reading about sisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No grandchildren in sight here, Deb. Or daughters-in-law. But I have some wonderful nieces and hubby also has one.

      Delete
  2. I had two younger brothers and spent years asking my parents for a baby sister. It never happened, but I still dream about what it might be like to have a sister.

    Books about sisters are so much fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see I am not the only one, Lydia. We always wish what we don't have, I guess. And I know not every sister is a best friend forever but it's nice to dream.

      Delete
  3. I have three sisters and two daughters, so I lucked out :) These can be complicated relationships, so it's no wonder they feature in books so much. The first book that came to my mind for your twist was LITTLE WOMEN. I love the sisterhood the characters share. It's heartwarming for sure.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is certainly one of my favourite books about sisters, Susan. I also loved the film version with Susan Sarandon and Winona Ryder etc. So beautiful. I really, really disliked the newer version, even though I also love Emma Watson but it was such a weird story.

      Delete
  4. On that last one, you might like (MIGHT -- it's not very serious) "While We were Watching Downton Abby". It's about three women in the same apartment building who become vital parts of helping each other in their respective struggles despite coming from very different places in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably would not have looked further when seeing that title, Stephen. But I will explore now. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Love this list. To have sisters like in Little Women would be really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Erin. They are the best sisters ever!

      Delete
  6. Austen is so perfect for this prompt! I can't recall many books with only sisters either but I do have The Poisonwood Bible on my TBR and I'm looking forward to trying it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the book that introduced me to Barbara Kingsolver, Dini. I loved all her books but this one is totally special to me.

      Delete
  7. Divine Secrets was such a good book.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, Astilbe. And I also loved the movie which doesn't happen often. James Garner as the father, the best scene is when he doesn't even flinch, when a cup is thrown at him. LOL

      Delete
  8. This is a great list. As someone who has an older sister, I am often jealous of the characters with many siblings or at least not the sibling dynamic I have.
    Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
    https://readbakecreate.com/characters-with-jobs-i-would-love-to-have/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I always tell myself, Pam. Even if I had a sister, would that mean we'd get on well. I mean, I really get on with my three brothers, but that's not a promise I'd get on with a sister.

      Delete
  9. I haven't read any of these, but I think it's interesting how much you desire a sister. I have an older brother and I think he was all the sibling I could handle so I never put much thought into it.
    https://getlostinlit.blogspot.com/2024/08/top-ten-literary-animal-friends.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have three younger brothers but would have swapped them for an older one any time, Idea-ist. I was always the one who had to fight for everything, especially as I was a girl. But no, I really wanted a sister. Always.

      Delete
  10. Love how you went with sisters as your TTT theme! And so many fun and different books on your list. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many books about sisters, Lark, I couldn't even use them all.

      Delete
  11. I'm pretty sure that I got Elinor Dashwood when I took that test, too! I also thought of Little Women and Weird Sisters, first, when I was thinking what books I would choose for your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure everyone can come up with ten books about sisters, Joy. There were a lot more for me to choose from. Maybe it will be a topic one day again.

      Delete
  12. Little Women is one of my all-time favorite books. I can't even give an accurate count of the number of editions I own. I also love Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. I am an only child and while I had friends who were girls, many of my friends growing up were boys, so to have such good friends that they were practically sisters is fascinating to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always speak from the bottom of my heart, Sarah. Being an only child, you might have wanted siblings. I sometimes wished to be an only child. We always crave what we don't have.

      Delete