Thursday 8 August 2024

#ThrowbackThursday. July 2011 Part 2

 

I've been doing Throwback Thursdays for a while but I noticed that I wrote a lot of reviews in a short time when I first started. One of my blogger friends always posts the reviews of one month but that would be too much. So, these are my reviews from the second week of July 2011.

Mitchell, Margaret "Gone With the Wind" - 1936
I have read this book ages ago - at around the same time I watched it in the cinema for the first time. I love this story, book or movie, both are great.
I did enjoy reading about the "life" of a war, the anticipation, how everyone wants this to happen for some reason or another, how they plunged into the fights and how they returned defeated and hopeless. This is what war does to any people.

Naipaul, V.S. "A House for Mr. Biswas" - 1961
I love V.S. Naipaul. He is a wonderful writer. Not only does he tell us about a life we would never be able to look into, but he does it in such an excellent way.
A story about disappointments in life and shattered dreams, written in an exquisite way.

Naipaul, V.S. "Half A Life" - 2001
An interesting take on life in different settings. A lot of information about post-independence India, Africa and Europe during that time, a comparison, a view about completely different cultures and lifestyles. 

Seth, Vikram "A Suitable Boy" - 1993
The story is settled in India in the fifties though the book was published in 1993 as an "epic about life in India". I've read quite a few Indian novels by now but This is by far the most positive novel about India even though it also seems to be a good recollection of Indian life and politics.
Although the main focus is on the family that is looking for "a suitable boy" (to marry) for one of their daughters, the novel centres on four families with different backgrounds, both Hindus and Muslims.

Seth, Vikram "An Equal Music" - 1999
This one tells us the story of a violonist and his problems with love, his job, his parents, but mainly love.
You cannot compare this book at all to his former novel, but it was very good, as well. 

Read my original reviews, for the links click on the titles.

8 comments:

  1. You were certainly busy reading, reviewing and blogging back in 2011! The only one of these I've read is Gone With the Wind and I read it back when the summer I turned 14. A very long time ago. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, not really, I reviewed and blogged but I had read most of them ages ago, just wanted to include all the books I ever read. I'm sure I forgot some but they most not have been important. Thanks, Lark.
      Gone With the Wind was one of my favourite movies at the time. They showed it in our local cinema once a year, and I always went. I also read the book back then. When I moved to Brussels, it was the first movie I watched in English and I also read it in English then. So, a very important story for me.

      Delete
  2. I'm okay with the characters in Gone with the Wind being defeated and hopeless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Sarah. I think that was her main point.

      Delete
    2. I don't know, maybe. But she also makes it sound all so romantic at times.

      Delete
    3. I doubt it would have been such a success if she didn't.

      Delete
  3. I didn't read Gone with the wind but I had seen the movie. I never had a desire to read the book though but maybe because I didn't like the film but I like the message at the end or what I remember was the message of the movie - that tomorrow is another day.

    Have a lovely day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an important message, Lissa. And we don't all have to like the same books. The movie was a lot shorter than the book, of course, there was so much that wasn't in the film, they just didn't have enough time. And money. A mini-series today with all the technical possibilities would probably do the book a lot more credit.

      Delete