Thursday 22 August 2024

#ThrowbackThursday. July 2011 Part 4

I've been doing Throwback Thursdays for a while but I noticed that I wrote a lot of reviews in a short time when I first started. One of my blogger friends always posts the reviews of one month but that would be too much. So, these are my reviews from the fourth week of July 2011.

LeBor, Adam "City of Oranges. An Intimate History of Arabs and Jews in Jaffa" - 2006
Israel and its history was always of great interest to me, I grew up with it. The author describes every different ethnic people living in Israel and has a deep understanding for their problems.

Shalev, Zeruya "Husband and Wife" (Hebr: בעל ואישה) - 2000
Na'ama is married to Udi whom she knew since childhood. One morning, he wakes up not able to move his legs. But the problem is not physical. The author has a wonderful way of describing the couple's different ways of trying to deal with this.

Smiley, Jane "A Thousand Acres" - 1991
King Lear in Iowa. A very interesting novel about a family and their troubles. 

Smiley, Jane "The All-true Travels and Adventures of Lidie Newton" - 1998
A completely different subject but just as good. I loved the main character, everything she goes through is told so explicitly, with so much feeling. 

Walker, Alice "The Way Forward is with a Broken Heart" - 2000
A collection of short stories based the author's life. A truly heart-rendering book, an eye opener, especially the story about her mixed-race marriage in the Southern US in the sixties.


Read my original reviews, for the links click on the titles.

2 comments:

  1. Throwback Thursdays sounds like a good meme to have fun looking back to past reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Harvee. Yes, it is. Most people just present one book a week but I am soooo far behind. LOL

      Delete