Saturday 3 August 2024

Six Degrees of Separation ~ The Museum of Modern Love

Heather Rose
Rose, Heather "The Museum of Modern Love" - 2016
#6Degrees of Separation:
from The Museum of Modern Love (Goodreads) to The Lady and the Unicorn

#6Degrees is a monthly link-up hosted by Kate at Books Are My Favourite and Best. I love the idea. Thank you, Kate. See more about this challenge, its history, further books and how I found this here.

The starter book this month The Museum of Modern Love by Heather Rose.

I have not read this one, so here is the description:

"A mesmerising literary novel about a lost man in search of connection - a meditation on love, art and commitment, set against the backdrop of one of the greatest art events in modern history, Marina Abramovic's The Artist is Present.

'Art will wake you up. Art will break your heart. There will be glorious days. If you want eternity you must be fearless.' From The Museum of Modern Love

She watched as the final hours of The Artist is Present passed by, sitter after sitter in a gaze with the woman across the table. Jane felt she had witnessed a thing of inexplicable beauty among humans who had been drawn to this art and had found the reflection of a great mystery. What are we? How should we live?

If this was a dream, then he wanted to know when it would end. Maybe it would end if he went to see Lydia. But it was the one thing he was not allowed to do.

Arky Levin is a film composer in New York separated from his wife, who has asked him to keep one devastating promise. One day he finds his way to The Atrium at MOMA and sees Marina Abramovic in The Artist is Present. The performance continues for seventy-five days and, as it unfolds, so does Arky. As he watches and meets other people drawn to the exhibit, he slowly starts to understand what might be missing in his life and what he must do.

This dazzlingly original novel asks beguiling questions about the nature of art, life and love and finds a way to answer them."

So, I tried to go with a word in the title. The starter word is museum.

Atkinson, Kate "Behind the Scenes at the Museum" - 1995
I don't have another book with museum that leads me anywhere, so I have chosen the first name of the author.

Morton, Kate "The Clockmaker's Daughter" - 2018

Edwards, Kim "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" - 2005

Powers, Charles T. "In the Memory of the Forest" - 1997

Guterson, David "Our Lady of the Forest" - 2003

Chevalier, Tracy "The Lady and the Unicorn" - 2003

The starter book is about art and a museum, the last one is also about art.

📚📚📚

This month, I loved all the books I presented. If you don't know them, I recommend them heavily.

12 comments:

  1. I have several Kate Atkinson books that I keep meaning to get around to. I really enjoyed the "recent" TV adaptation of 'Life after Life'. Of course you know that I'm a HUGE fan of Tracy Chevalier... although I haven't read 'Lady and the Unicorn' (yet).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only read this one, Kitten. Let me know how the others are going.
      And yes, I am also a huge Tracy Chevalier fan, I don't think I have read all of hers but I'm working on it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. That's not a problem, Lisa. I have several challenges for the same day, I just do them a day or two later or earlier. So, if you still fancy it ... In any case, thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  3. Fun book chain! The only one I've read on it is The Lady and the Unicorn, but I really liked that one. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all great, Lark. I'm sure you'd love them all. My favourite is probably "In the Memory of the Forest". Oh, and Tracy Chevalier is always a good choice.

      Delete
  4. I like the way yours circles back to art:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. I always try to find a link between the first and the last but it's not always possible.

      Delete
  5. Nice chain, even if it did include two I've read but wasn't totally thrilled with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, thanks, Davida. May I know which ones they were?

      Delete
  6. Nicely done!
    This is the only one by Morton that I found a bit confusing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the only one by her that I read, Emma. I quite liked it. But I have been told her other ones are better.

      Delete