Tuesday 23 June 2020

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Top Ten Characters You Would Want As Family Members



"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish".

It is now hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

Top Ten Tuesday Turns 10! 
Option 1: pick a past TTT topic you’ve done and re-do/update it (Perhaps you’d remove certain books you put on the list back when you first wrote it, or perhaps you have 10 MORE books you’d add to that list now. You could also re-visit TBR posts, whether seasonal or series you need to finish, etc., and tell us if you’ve read them yet or not. Any variation of this idea works. Feel free to be creative.)
Option 2: pick a past TTT topic you wish you’d done, but didn’t get a chance to do (the list of topics is below).

Characters You Would Want As Family Members

This Tuesday, TTT turns 10 and we get to choose one topic, either one we've done before or one we've missed.

I've chosen one that I missed and made it a special girls' topic. I have three younger brothers and two sons, so besides my mother, there was never a special woman in my family. As a child, I always wished for a sister and somehow, I still do. So, I've been thinking what kind of sister I would have liked. There are many different types of women in these books but they all have one thing in common, they are all extremely strong and can get through any troubles. That's certainly a great trait you'd wish for a sister to have.

Anne Elliot from "Persuasion" (1817) by Jane Austen

Dorothea Brooke from "Middlemarch" (1871-72) by George Eliot

Ruby Thewes from "Cold Mountain" (1997) by Charles Frazier

Vera von Kamcke from "This House is Mine" (Altes Land) (20105) by Dörte Hansen

Kate Morrison from "Crow Lake" by Mary Lawson

Precious Ramotswe from "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" Series (1999 etc.) by Alexander McCall Smith

Kira Argounova from "We the Living" (1936) by Ayn Rand

Susan Russell from the "Breaktfast at Six" series (1953 etc.) by Mary Scott

Lidie Newton from "The All-true Travels and Adventures of Lidie Newton" (1998) by Jane Smiley

Zosia Król from "The Children's War" (2001) by J.N. Stroyar

17 comments:

  1. Precious would be such a great relative.

    Thanks for stopping by earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't she just? Such a down to earth woman with her heart in the right place.

      And no problem, I always enjoy your posts.

      Delete
  2. Hi there Marianne! Oh this is a clever list. I would love to have some of these as relatives. Even better, as in-laws! Me and Precious will have long, nice chats as we are also from Africa. Check out my latest Ten Books set in South Africa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elza. Having great in-laws is always a good point. I do have good ones but I still miss a ister.

      Thanks for your link about books in South Africa. I will certainly check it out. I have read far too little about Africa.

      See you on your page and thanks for visiting mine.

      Delete
  3. Great spin on the topic! Yes to Precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like everyone agrees with that.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Nice take on this week's topic! I think Anne Elliot would be a great sister. Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Whenever I do a Jane Austen test, my result is Eleonor Dashwood. But that means I'm supposed to be more like her. As a sister, I'd like Anne Elliot.

      Thanks for your visit and your link, will head over there now.

      Delete
    2. I've never taken a Jane Austen test! I'm curious what my results would be!

      Delete
  5. I think these people would all make great family members for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would indeed. I have gotten to know them well through reading their books.

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  6. I think Jane Austen’s characters would make excellent family members. They have big personalities and would definitely keep life interesting.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are completely right there. It's probably because Jane Austen herself was a strong woman otherwise she would not have been able to do what she did.

      Thanks for stopping by and for leaving your link. I'll go and repay the visit

      Delete
  7. "Crow Lake" by Mary Lawson is one of my favourite books!

    Here's my TTT list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely one of mine, too. There is something really special about it.

      Thanks for your link and for your visit. I'll head over to your page now.

      Delete
  8. Intriguing list, Marianne. The only book I have read on your list is Cold Mountain, though I have heard of some of the others and will not check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I am sure you would enjoy all of them. "The Children's War" (my all-time favourite) is out of print but I do believe you get them as an ebook nowadays. I think you might also love "Crow Lake" a lot.

      Delete