Friday, 19 June 2020
Carlos Ruiz Zafón †
This is a sad day for readers.
I was quite shocked when I saw this morning that one of my favourite authors passed away. Carlos Ruiz Zafón, author of some great books, especially "The Cemetary of Forgotten Books" (El cementerio de los libros olvidados) tetralogy.
He had been diagnosed with colon cancer in 2018 and succumbed to it yesterday at the age of only 55.
I was always looking forward to his next one. Now I know there won't be any. Tragic.
According to many, he was "one of the best contemporary novelists", and I totally agree with that. He wrote eight novels which were translated into more than 40 different languages and sold 38 million copies.
He received several literature prizes, unfortunately, the Nobel Prize wasn't among them. What a loss. Maybe you remember, I had suggested him in my Nobel Prize post earlier this year.
Rest in Peace!
Here is my list of his books:
- "Gaudí in Manhattan" (E: La Mujer de Vapor) - Gaudí in Manhattan
- "Marina" (E: Marina)
- "The Angel's Game" (E: El juego del ángel - El cementerio de los libros olvidados #2)
- "The Labyrinth of the Spirits" (E: laberinto de los espíritus - El cementerio de los libros olvidados #4)
- "The Midnight Palace" (El Palacio de la Medianoche)
- "The Prince of Mist" (E: El príncipe de la niebla)
- "The Prisoner of Heaven" (E: El prisionero del cielo - El cementerio de los libros olvidados #3)
- "The Shadow of the Wind" (E: La sombra del viento - El cementerio de los libros olvidados #1) *
- "Watcher in the Shadows" (E: Las luces de Septiembre)