Thursday 6 June 2024

#ThrowbackThursday. May 2011

I've been doing Throwback Thursdays for a while but I noticed that I wrote a lot of reviews in a short time when I first started. One of my blogger friends always posts the reviews of one month but that would be too much. So, these are my reviews from the first week of May 2011.

Haddon, Mark "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" - 2003
The author tries to highlight that autistic figure/feel and accomplishes it very well. The book was written very discreetly, you could notice that he worked with children. One would have thought Mark Haddon had the syndrome himself.

Kidd, Sue Monk "The Secret Life of Bees" - 2002
The story of Lily from South Carolina, an abused child who lost her mother, and three African-American beekeeping sisters who help her growing up.

Lamb, Christina "The Sewing Circles of Herat: A Personal Voyage Through Afghanistan" - 2002
This was by far the best one of the books I read about Afghanistan.  Christina Lamb is a journalist who knows her job.

Mann, Thomas "Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family" (German: Buddenbrooks) - 1901
I have read "Buddenbrooks" a couple of times and think this is one of the best books of German literature. It is usually described as Thomas Mann's masterpiece. The author is definitely one of Germany's most famous and best writers. The novel, an epic story, dates from 1901 and describes the life in a wealthy merchant family over several decades from the 1800s until the beginning of the twentieth century.

Mosse, Kate "Labyrinth" - 2005
A story about history and architecture, a story that spans over 800 years. Historical events from the 13th century are described.

Waltari, Mika "The Egyptian" (Finnish: Sinuhe Egyptiläinen) - 1945
The author studied ancient cultures and theology and the facts in this book are accurate. He couldn't print war books at the time, so instead he wrote this one. The book covers not only Egyptian history but also everything about the human nature, its goodness and its cruelty.

Waltari, Mika "The Dark Angel" (Finnish: Johannes Angelos) - 1952
A lot of the author's novels have a religious background, there is always an issue of faith in his books. His language is great and he teaches a lot about churches and the background of their history. His books are very detailed and accurate. This novel is situated in Constantinople during its fall in 1453.

Woolf, Virginia "To the Lighthouse" - 1927
This wonderful book was almost like poetry. The style was wonderful. Virginia Woolf describes the people most beautifully, the feelings, the thoughts, the way she describes the changes, the atmosphere, how they looked at each other, you can recognize it in your own life.

Woolf, Virginia "Mrs. Dalloway" - 1925
This is supposed to be Virginia Woolf's greatest novel, a book about the life of a woman, a single day in the life of a woman. A "higher class" woman at the beginning of the last century preparing a party and seeing it through.

Read my original reviews, for the links click on the titles.

15 comments:

  1. I've only read Woolf's first novel - The Voyage Out - so far and was *most* impressed. Although not very much 'happened' I thought her characters, including a brief appearance of the intriguing Mrs Dalloway herself, were endlessly interesting. I'll make a point of reading more by her - the "plan" is to read them in publication order - next year. I would try for this year but I'm already maxed out on Classics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think her books are known for the fact that not very much "happens", Kitten. But she makes us think and that's a lot more interesting then something happening. I only read two of her books but they were both great.

      Delete
    2. Her style did make me think of Austen, and I had to do a bit of a double-take when the characters started *discussing* Jane Austen. I thought that was really funny, although I'm not sure if the author meant it to be! I have her 2nd book waiting to be read.

      Delete
    3. Interesting, Kitten. I never heard her compared to Jane Austen.

      Delete
  2. "Buddenbrooks" is very good! There is also a good movie. One of my great-uncles is from Hamburg and grew up in a similar family as the Buddenbrooks. And there is a Buddenbrookhaus in Lübeck, which Peter and I visited before we had children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buddenbrooks is my absolute favourite book, Eva. When you go to my review, you will also find a link to my visit to the Buddenbrook house which I really liked. Lübeck is a great town and everything reminds you of that book.

      Delete
    2. I will take a look! Yes, so true about Lübeck.

      Delete
    3. One of the most beautiful cities.

      Delete
  3. I've been told so many times I need to read Curious Incident but have not yet gotten around to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you haven't read it because it's a novel, Sarah. But it is highly interesting, I assure you.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I think you would also love "The Sewing Circles ...", the best book about Afghanistan, a non-fiction book about the situations of women there.

      Delete
  4. Always fun to go back, I enjoyed a lot your first one, and Mosse's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all great, Emma. My ever favourite book is "Buddenbrooks" and "The Sewing Circles ..." is the best book about Afghanistan.

      Delete
  5. I see four favourite books on this list; The Curious Incident ..., Buddenbrocks, Labyrint and To the Lighthouse. Wonderful stories and novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, great. You are right, Lisbeth, they are wonderful.

      Delete