Monday 23 May 2016

Goscinny, René; Uderzo, Albert "Asterix the Gaul"


Goscinny, René; Uderzo, Albert "Asterix the Gaul" (French: Astérix le Gaulois) - 1959

The stories about the little Gallic warrior Asterix and his huge friend Obelix have made history. They have accompanied many a young person through their youth and carried on living with them into adulthood. I am one of those youngsters, I started reading them when they first came out, first I read them in German, later in French, some also in English. They are great in any language.

This is the first of his many adventures where we see how he manages to fight the mighty Julius Cesar.

I have put together a list of all his adventures (so far) in this post. Enjoy.

From the back cover:

"The year is 50BC, and all Gaul is occupied. Only one small village of indomitable Gauls still holds out against the invaders. But how much longer can Asterix, Obelix and their friends resist the mighty Roman legions of Julius Caesar? Anything is possible, with a little cunning plus the druid Getafix's magic potions! Their effects can be truly hair-raising..."

2 comments:

  1. The bookstore where I used to work carries these! I have not read one yet. Maybe my 10.5 year old grandson would like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He probably would. I remember reading them at school, we had a French exchange student who had to do something with us so we read Asterix. It was fun and we learned something. Mind you, they are fun in whatever language you read them and you still learn about history.

      In any case, I'd suggest he starts with the first books in order to get used to the characters and stories. There is a list in my post here.

      Happy Reading,
      Marianne

      Delete