Wednesday 25 May 2016

McCall Smith, Alexander "Emma"


McCall Smith, Alexander "Emma. A Modern Retelling" - 2015

I am not a fan of fanfiction. I usually don't read that kind of stuff. But somehow I was quite interested in the idea of transplanting one of Jane Austen's books into our world.

Yes, the idea sounds nice. Almost like communism. Wouldn't if be nice if we all were equal and had the same chances? Well, because people are people this fantastic idea will never work in the real world.

Neither does Emma Woodhouse in the 21st century. Most people don't like her in the original version "Emma". They will hate her in this one. We all know better in the meantime and so should she.

Alexander McCall Smith has written some fabulous books about life in Botswana ("The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency" Series). I think he should stick to it. Not that this was written badly, I just don't like it when someone picks up someone else's idea and moves it further.

So, yes, not my thing but if you're curious and like this type of book, I think you might even enjoy it.

From the back cover:
 
"Sometimes it takes time to discover who you really are. And for Emma Woodhouse the journey is only just beginning. After graduating, Emma returns home to Norfolk, where she plans to set up a design business. But that summer, as Emma begins to match-make various friends and neighbours, some important lessons about life and relationships await her…"

4 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of fan fiction either. And transporting Jane Austen's characters to our time and making them foul mouthed and jumping into bed with each other is terrible. I don't know what happens in this book, but I've read descriptions of some of the others in this set of books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see, we agree on most books which is so interesting. Just knowing there is someone on the other side of the world with similar feelings is great.

      No, he pretty much sticks to the original plot, no bed jumping or anything like that but still, it seems so wrong. Yes, this will probably be my last fanfiction, at least for a long long time.

      Have a happy weekend,
      Marianne

      Delete
  2. I tried to read Emma twice and gave up. So I think a retelling would be lost on me no matter how good or not good it was. But I am going to read Curtis Sittenfeld's retelling of Pride and Prejudice. It is called Eligible and I love her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows, maybe you would like Emma in the retelling. Alexander McCall Smith is also a good author. Have you read "The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency" Series? But I don't blame you for not trying. And you are in good company, a lot of people don't like "Emma" and Jane Austen mentioned something like that herself, I read. For me, this will probably be the one and only retelling of one of her stories, unless someone convinces me otherwise.

      Have a good day,
      Marianne

      Delete