Saturday 7 January 2023

Six Degrees of Separation ~ From Beach Read to Things Fall Apart

#6Degrees of Separation:
from Beach Read to Things Fall Apart

#6Degrees is a monthly link-up hosted by Kate at Books Are My Favourite and Best. I love the idea. Thank you, Kate. See more about this challenge, its history, further books and how I found this here.

This month's prompt starts with Beach Read by Emily Henry (Goodreads)

Beach Reads are not for me, so I have never heard of the author or that book. I don't have any books that contain the name beach so I had to go with another secquence.

Read
Calvino, Italo "Why Read the Classics?" (IT: Perché leggere i classici?) - 1991

Of course, I have books with "read" in the title. This one is great for anyone who (like me) loves classic books. This is a great way of getting a list of worthwhile books to read and maybe getting a glimpse of what it might be.

Why
Angelou, Maya "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" - 1969

Why is a good link to the next degree. The author has led a very difficult life and she tells us all about it in this book.

Sing
Owens, Delia "Where the Crawdads Sing" - 2018

Singing should always be fun but both these books are not necessarily cheerful. Here we have a great story about Kya, a girl that is left all alone by her family, one after the other leaves and she has to fend for herself at the age of nine. The villagers don't look favourable at her, either.

Where
Shakib, Siba "Afghanistan, Where God Only Comes to Weep" (GE: Nach Afghanistan kommt Gott nur noch zum Weinen) - 2002

Although where also is a question word, it is more a location information in both these titles. This book gives us a good insight into the lives of people in that part of the world where you usually just get political or military news.

Only
O'Farrel, John "Things can only get better: Eighteen Miserable Years in the Life of a Labour Supporter, 1979-1997" - 1998

Both an interesting as well as a humorous story about the ups and downs of a politician.

Things
Achebe, Chinua "Things Fall Apart" (The African Trilogy #1) - 1958

While the things could get better in the former book, they fall apart in this one. A story about Nigeria just after the arrival of the first European colonists in the late nineteenth century.

📚📚📚

I guess these books are the opposite of beach trees but those who know me will understand, that I appreciate these type of books a lot more.

Look for further monthly separation posts here

10 comments:

  1. I really must look for the Italo Calvino book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a great read for any classic lovers. But I also really liked his other book, If on a Winter's Night a Traveller.

      Delete
  2. Very nicely done chain here. As I already said Things Fall Apart changed my life... well, more specifically, my political views, and views about colonization and prejudice and xenophobia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy that you like my chain, I always enjoy yours so much, Davida.
      I think this is a good book to change your life, or your outlook on life. I read it at a later age and my views were already changed in that direction by other books I had read.

      Delete
    2. I think this is why we read this one at school... very forward thinking of my teachers back in the 1960s to have included it on our reading list.

      Delete
    3. You definitely had great teachers there, Lisa. More students should read this.

      Delete
  3. Your chain is a good one. I thought Henry's Beach Read was a fun romance, but it doesn't seem like your kind of book. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. Yes, you are right, not my kind of book. But I managed to get back to the genre I prefer to read, right? ;)

      Delete
  4. So much fun to sea someone using the same technique for their chain, and ending up in such a different place than mine!
    This one by Calvino is on my list as the next book to read in Italian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I enjoy doing words as a chain but it doesn't always fit with my books (like next month) and it is highly interesting to see where others end up.
      Calvino is just fantastic, though my favourite is still "If on a Winter's Night ..." But the one about classics is so great for anyone who loves classics - though it should also read by the others.

      Delete