Friday 15 June 2018

Ruiz Zafón, Carlos "Gaudí in Manhattan"


Ruiz Zafón, Carlos "Gaudí in Manhattan" (Spanish: La Mujer de Vapor) - 2009

A short story about a young architecture student who can go to New York with his much admired hero Antonio Gaudí. A very short story. But it was by one of my favourite authors, so I had to read it. And it was just as beautiful as his novels. I just don't get why he didn't make it into a whole book.

A rich person offers Gaudí to pay for the rest of the Sagrada Familia and it turns out to be a young woman … or was it all a dream? A magic realism story like no other. Plus, there were some great illustrations and pictures in the booklet.

See more comments on my ThrowbackThursday post in 2023.

From the back cover (translated):

"A young student of architecture accompanies the famous architect to America, where Antonio Gaudí is to receive the order to build a skyscraper. But when they arrive in Manhattan, things take a different course."

2 comments:

  1. Ciao! I'm Miriam, I stumbled upon your blog while searching for some info on who illustrated that dragon in "Gaudí in Manhattan". I was wondering if perhaps on your edition of the book there were some credits, since mine has none. Beside a deep internet search, I've also contacted the editing house of my country but I'm sadly still waiting on an answer. Thank you in advance for you kind attention, and please feel free to email me on MiriamRicci94@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miriam,
      thanks for your interest in my blog. I usually add a picture of the original version with a link to Goodreads. When I posted this, I could only find this one. Personally, I have the German edition.
      When I first posted this, the links they show on my pictures are the ones that were on those pages, sometimes pages are added, but the information is usually what the poster has added. Maybe a question on the Goodreads page would help to find someone who actually owns this edition.
      But thanks a lot for getting in touch. Sorry I can't be of more help.

      Delete