Thursday 20 July 2023

#ThrowbackThursday. More by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

 

Everybody knows Carlos Ruiz Zafón's Cemetery of Forgotten Books. But he has written more books that are just as great. So, if you loved The Shadow of the Wind, The Angel's Game, The Prisoner of Heaven, The Labyrinth of the Spirits and The City of Mist and haven't read any others of his books, there are some surprises wiating for you.

Ruiz Zafón, Carlos "The Prince of Mist" (E: El príncipe de la niebla) - 1993

A fantastic ghost story, very mystical, very exciting.

A family moves from the city to the beach in order to flee from the war. They move into an old house whose previous owner died. As soon as they arrive, strange things start to happen.

Read my original review here.

Ruiz Zafón, Carlos "The Midnight Palace" (El Palacio de la Medianoche) - 1994

This story takes place in India. I guess a lot of the story would not have been as plausible in Europe.

Eight young people who are the best of friends, each one of them a hero or heroine in itself, some adults who are also very "good". Lots of twists add to the suspension and if you start reading this book, you might not want to put it down before you have finished it.

Read my original review here.

Ruiz Zafón, Carlos "Watcher in the Shadows" (E: Las luces de Septiembre) - 1995

Shadows, Ruiz Zafón loves shadows, it's amazing what he can do with shadows …

A family in France in 1937. After the death of her father, Irene's mother moves with her children from Paris to a remote place in Normandy, a mysterious mansion inhabited by a toymaker who lives there with his sick wife.

Read my original review here.

Ruiz Zafón, Carlos
"Marina" (E: Marina) - 1999


Even darker than any of his other novels.

Barcelona plays a major role and one gets the idea that it is full of secret and forbidden streets and alleyways that everyone would like to explore.

Óscar and Marina, the protagonists of this story, come across a mysterious character, someone who should have been dead a long time ago.

Read my original review here.

Ruiz Zafón, Carlos "Gaudí in Manhattan" (E: La Mujer de Vapor) - Gaudí in Manhattan - 2009

A short story about a young architecture student who can go to New York with his much admired hero Antonio Gaudí.

A magic realism story like no other with some great illustrations and pictures in the booklet.

Read my original review here.



Find links to all my other Carlos Ruiz Zafón reviews here.

8 comments:

  1. I was really impressed by 'The Watcher in the Shadows' which I read back in 2019. I'm hoping to schedule 'Marina' later in the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised, Kitten. His books are all great. I hope you'll also like Marina, probably his most sinister story.

      Delete
  2. I definitely need to check out The Prince of Mist; I love a good ghost story. And Watcher in the Shadows sounds really good, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, as I know, you also like Ruiz Zafón, so you are definitely in for a nice surprise, Lark. Enjoy.

      Delete
  3. I am surprised by his other books. I must take a look. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was time to remind other readers about these books, Harvee. I'm glad I did because you are not the only one who hasn't heard about them. Enjoy.

      Delete
  4. Thank you Marianne, I was not aware that were the many books by him I have not read. I will make a list and get on. A favourite author he is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisbeth. As I just said to Harvee ^^, I knew that not everyone knows about his other books. And they are all great. So, I hope you will enjoy his other books, as well.

      Delete