Tuesday 11 July 2023

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Female Authors

   

"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish". It is now hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

This week, our topic is a Freebie.

I haven't done many lists lately but I had the idea the other day to do a list of my favourite female authors (or at least some of them) since I had a few conversations with people who mentioned they read too few books written by women. Well, here are some of my favourite writers with one of their best books.


Allende, Isabel "Island Beneath the Sea" (E: La isla bajo el mar) - 2010
Austen, Jane "Persuasion" - 1817
Buck, Pearl S. "Peony" - 1948 (Nobel Prize for Literature 1938)
Ephron, Nora "I Remember Nothing. And Other Reflections" - 2010 (short stories)
Hislop, Victoria "The Island" - 2005
Kingsolver, Barbara "The Lacuna" - 2009
Lawson, Mary "Crow Lake" - 2002
Morrison, Toni "Beloved" - 1987
(Nobel Prize for Literature 1993)
Oates, Joyce Carol "We Were the Mulvaneys" - 1996
Walker, Alice "The Color Purple" - 1982

I have read several books all all of the authors, some of them several times. Give them a try.

📚 Happy Reading! 📚

22 comments:

  1. Beloved and The Color Purple were both excellent.

    This is a good list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lydia. I loved all the books on the list, it shows that there are many great women out there writing for us.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the recommendations! Toni Morrison is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, AJ. Yes, she is fantastic.

      Delete
  3. I've only read Austen from this list, but Allende is someone I've heard good things about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can recommend all the writers, Stephen.

      Delete
  4. Persuasion is wonderful! Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite Jane Austen story. I also love the others but whenever the name Austen comes up, I think about Persuasion right away.
      Thanks for your link, Poinsettia.

      Delete
  5. What a good idea for this week's TTT list! Austen and Kingsolver are two favorite female authors of mine, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh! I like this week's topic! Great list!

    Here’s my TTT

    Rabbit Ears Book Blog: WORLD’S WEIRDEST BOOK BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've missed your TTT lists, Marianne! Glad to see you back. I've read at least one book from Allende, Walker, Oates, and Austen. Of them, Austen is my favorite. Great list!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely, Susan. I cannot promise to come back every week but will do some topics I haven't done before. I love TTT but felt I was repeating myself all the time. No wonder, after so many years.

      Delete
  8. It is always funny to me when people say they don't read many books by women because that's pretty much all I read. Guess it pays to be a romance reader! I had fun seeing who your favorites were.

    Here's my TTT post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that is the reason I don't read as many books by women as I do by men, I don't read romance. Or fantasy. I like to learn from the books I read. If I look at the Nobel Prize winners, for example, up until last year, there were 102 men and 17 women. And that's the same in other renowned circles. That's the big problem.
      Have you read anything by any of the authors I mention? Because I think you might love them just as much as I do.

      Delete
  9. Great idea of freebie.
    I have also read a lot of books by Barbara Kingsolver - though not the last one, probably excellent, but for some reason, I don't think that's for me at this point. Have you? Are you planning to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on my list now, Emma, as it has been published as a paperback in May. I do want to read it since I have enjoyed most of her books before and she always writes about different topics. So, I hope to read it soon. Watch this space. ;)

      Delete
  10. I've never really understood people who say they don't read many books by women as that is what makes up 99% of my reading!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2023/07/11/top-ten-tuesday-428/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already said to Deanna ^^ that might be because of the genre you read. But the ones I mention there could be interesting to anyone.
      Thanks for your link, Jo.

      Delete
  11. Many favourites here. I have had Blonde on my shelves for ages, maybe time to read it now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's on my shelf since the beginning fo the year, Lisbeth, and I want to read it soon.

      Delete