Tuesday 18 July 2023

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Books With One-Word Titles

    

"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish". It is now hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

This week, our topic is Books With One-Word Titles.

I found a lot of books with one word titles.
I could have probably done a whole month of TTTs. So, which ones to choose. Some of them I have used in several TTTs before, others were not necessarily my favourites. So, in the end I decided to use (mainly) those words that are a little unusual, some that we might never have heard of and definitely not those we would use every day. I hope you like the selection. There are classics among them, funny stories, sad ones, and they are from all over this world and also out of this world. Here they are:

Shteyngart, Gary "Absurdistan" - 2006
Stephenson, Neal "Anathem" - 2008
Şafak, Elif "Araf" (aka The Saint of Incipient Insanities) - 2004
Mann, Thomas "Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family" (GE: Buddenbrooks) - 1901 (Nobel Prize for Literature 1929)
Herbert, Xavier "Capricornia" - 1938
Solstad, Lexidh "Catpasity" - 2015
Lee, Min Jin "Pachinko" - 2017
Ionesco, Eugène "Rhinoceros" (F: Rhinocéros) - 1957
Atkinson, Kate "Transcription" - 2018
Frazier, Charles "Varina" - 2018

They are all interesting, some of them a little weird, understandable given the reason I chose them but I can recommend them all.

📚 Happy Reading! 📚

36 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know, Carol. A weird and funny book, therefore ideal for this challenge. LOL

      Delete
  2. Absurdistan is such a great title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lydia. It's also an interesting book.

      Delete
  3. Some interesting books listed. Happy reading, Marianne 🌞☕📚💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jody. I had fun looking for interesting titles.

      Delete
  4. You did find some wonderfully unusual one-word titles! Catpasity is my favorite, followed closely by Absurdistan. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. Actually, Catpasity was written by a Norwegian friend I met online. She has several cats and her writing about them is so lovely, should be a Must for every cat lover. I think those two books will make the list of favourite titles here.

      Delete
  5. Catpasity made me chuckle.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Astilbe. The book does that, as well.

      Delete
  6. I love that you chose to focus on unusual words! Great tweak, it made for a fun list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love words, Cindy. Where they come from, what they mean, so I just had to choose them. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. Oooh! Interesting titles and I love the look of Rhinoceros! Great list!

    Here’s my TTT

    Rabbit Ears Book Blog: WORLD’S WEIRDEST BOOK BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ronyell. Yes, that is also a fun book, absurd.

      Delete
  8. These are great choices! The only one I've read is Pachinko and I loved it. Absurdistan looks interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dini. Pachinko is one of my favourite books ever. And I did not know that word before. All the books are good, so I hope I have inspired you.

      Delete
  9. Fun list of memorable titles! ~Carol @ ReadingLadies

    ReplyDelete
  10. CAPRICORNIA is an interesting one. I'm a Capricorn, so I guess that's why it caught my eye!

    Happy TTT (on a Wednesday)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that must have contributed to it, Susan. But nobody in my family is a Capricorn and I always thought it was an interesting title. It is also a great book about Australia at the beginning of the last century.

      Delete
  11. Absurdistan is certainly a unique title!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2023/07/18/top-ten-tuesday-429/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It fits the book, Jo. ;) Thanks for your comment and your link.

      Delete
  12. So neat twist!
    I have only read Ionesco's. but Anathem is on my TBR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're in for an excellent read there, Emma. And I'm not surprised you are the only one who even knows Rhinocéros.

      Delete
  13. Pachinko was such a good read. I also have that cover and love it. Happy reading! My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/my-top-ten-favorite-contemporary-romance-books/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, it was the cover that made me pick up the book in the first place. And the word that I had never heard before. A fantastic read. Thanks for your comment and the link, Stefani.

      Delete
  14. You have some really fun ones here! I had to sound out that cat one at first. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deanna. Yes, that is a fun one. Well, they are all fun words.

      Delete
  15. I couldn't do this one - everything I read is long titles and even longer sub-titles, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine, Sarah. Most non-fiction titles tend to have longer titles. Sub-titles, I have left them out. Sometimes they have them, sometimes not. In German, Buddenbrooks doesn't have a subtitle, I guess they gave it one for the international audience so they might pick it up.

      Delete
    2. That is also something to consider - mine tend to be difference in titles between the US vs the UK version. A few times I have been critical of the long subtitles in my reviews because sometimes they are so absurd.

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, we've noticed that in our international book club, as well. Sometimes it's a copyright reason because the original title is already around in the other country but often it's just plain stupid. And when it gets to titles in another language, oh, don't let me get started ....

      Delete
  16. Interesting twist on this topic. Thanks for visiting my Top Ten Tuesday list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lectrice. I did enjoy yours, as well.

      Delete
  17. Pachinko has been on my reading list for a number of years. I keep hearing exce;;ent things about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh, you definitely should give it a go, Lisa. I must admit, I bought it because of the title (I had never heard it before) and the colourful Asian cover. But the book keeps everything that cover promises. And I learned a lot about Koreans in Japan which is not unlike what many Germans had to endure elsewhere.

      Delete