Thursday 6 July 2023

#ThrowbackThursday. Bill Bryson

 

Bill Bryson - Funniest Author Ever

For my #ThrowbackThursday posts, I usually go back in chronological order. Often, I mention just the one book that comes next. But this week, I have to make an exception. Bill Bryson is one of my favourite authors and I was really sad when he announced that he wouldn't be writing anymore. A terrible loss. Bill Bryson did not just entertain us with his travel books and his stories about his birth and his chosen country, he also taught us about the English language and about science, such a universal author. I learned more about science from his books than I ever did in school.

Here is a list of all the books I have read:

"At Home" - 2010

"A Walk in the Woods" - 1998
"Bill Bryson's African Diary. A Short Trip for a Worthy Cause" - 2000
"The Body. A Guide for Occupants" - 2019
"Down Under/In a Sunburned Country" - 2002
"Icons of England" - 2008

"The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" - 2006     
"Made in America: an Informal History of the English Language in the United States" - 1994
"Mother Tongue" - 1990
"Neither Here Nor There. Travels in Europe" - 1991

"Notes from a Big Country" (US: I'm a Stranger Here Myself) - 1999

"Notes from a Small Island" - 1995
"The Lost Continent" - 1989
"One Summer: America, 1927" - 2013
"The Road to Little Dribbling: More Notes from a Small Island" - 2015
"Shakespeare: The World as a Stage" - 2007
"A Short History of Nearly Everything" - 2003

"Troublesome Words" - 1997


I love all of Bill Bryson's books. Find a link to my reviews here. The books are ordered by genre there.

6 comments:

  1. Bill Bryson always makes me laugh! I haven't read all of his books, but I've loved the ones that I have read. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. I am sad that I have read all of his books already, at least those that are available because he stopped writing. :( I will have to start re-reading all of them.

      Delete
  2. OMG, I had not heard that! Did he see why? He is not THAT old , is he??
    Oh looks like you have not read Me Talk Pretty One Day, hilarious on the French language and people!
    And I have read so so much listening to his narration of his book Holidays On Ice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you mixed up Bill Bryson and David Sedaris because the two books you mentioned are by the latter. I have read "Me Talk Pretty One Day" but didn't care for it much, there are better books of expats in France, at least in my opinion. But what do I know, I'm not French. LOL
      And if you haven't read anything by Bill Bryson, you'll be in for a treat.

      Delete
  3. I've only read 'One Summer' which I thought was VERY good. It even got me interested in Baseball! [lol]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, Kitten, that was probably my least favourite book for him. Although, it was great, of course. Try his British ones, they are hilarious.

      Delete