Monday 31 July 2023

🇫🇷 Paris in July 2023 - Summary 🇫🇷


Another Paris in July has passed. This year, Emma @ Words and Peace has kindly taken over as the host. She has given us the opportunity to link all our posts concerning the topic and you can find the results here. The picture  at the top is also created by her.

The books I read this month that concern Paris (or France in general) are:

Canetti, Elias "Die Blendung" (Auto-da-Fé) - 1935
Ernaux, Annie "The Years" (FR: Les années) - 2008
Guiliano, Mireille "French Women Don’t Get Fat" - 2004
Orwell, George "Down and Out in Paris and London" - 1933

Wickert, Ulrich "Frankreich muss man lieben, um es zu verstehen" [You have to love France to understand it] - 2017

Films
I haven't watched all of these this year but I thought I add a list of the movies I know that take place in Paris.
"Amélie" w. Audrey Tautou - 2001
"An American in Paris" w. Gene Kelly, Leslie Caron - 1951
"The Aristocats" - Disney - 1970
"Before Sunrise" w. Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy - 1995
"Before Sunset"
w. Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy -  2004
"La Boum" (The Party) and "La Boum 2" (The Party 2) w. Sophie Marceau, Claude Brasseur - 1980 + 1982
"Charade" w. Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant - 1963
"The Da Vinci Code"
w. Tom Hanks, Audrey Tautou - 2006
"Un éléphant ça trompe énormément" (Pardon mon affaire) w. Jean Rochefort, Claude Brasseur - 1976
"L'Etudiante" (The Student) w. Sophie Marceau, Vincent Lindon - 1988
"Forget Paris" w. Billy Crystal, Debra Winger - 1995
"French Kiss" w. Meg Ryan, Kevin Kline - 1995
"Funny Face" w. Audrey Hepburn, Fred Astaire - 1957
"Gigi" w. Leslie Caron, Maurice Chevalier, Louis Jourdan - 1958
"Jules et Jim" from François Truffaut w. Jeanne Moreau - 1962
"Madeline" w. Frances McDormand, Nigel Hawthorne - 1998
"Maigret" w. Rowan Atkinson - 2016-17:
"Maigret Sets a Trap"
"Maigret's Dead Man"
"Maigret: Night at the Crossroads"
"Maigret in Montmartre"
"Maigret" w. Michael Gambon (internationally probably most widely known for his role as Professor Dumbledore in the Harrry Potter movies) - 1992-93
"Les Misérables" by Victor Hugo w. Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway - 2012
"Moulin Rouge" w. Nicole Kidman, Ewan McGregor - 2001
"Paris, je t'aime" w. Juliette Binoche - 2006
"Ratatouille" - Disney/Pixar - 2007
"Sabrina" w. Audrey Hepburn, Humphrey Bogart - 1954
"Sabrina" w. Julia Ormond, Harrison Ford - 1995

10 comments:

  1. Fascinating list of films. I suspect there are many more from French movie studios over the years. Yes, it’s been fun visiting Paris in July.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mae. Yes, of course, there must be thousands. I just saw another list that had even more films than mine and we only shared three movies.
      More reviews are about to come up, I just have to write them ... ;)

      Delete
  2. Have you ever seen Woody Allen's movie Midnight in Paris? That's a fun one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. No, I have not seen that movie. I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of Woddy Allen and his humour, that might be one of the reasons. But thanks for mentioning the film.

      Delete
  3. Nice wrap! I'll list it twice actually, both as a wrap, and as list of movies set in Paris.
    You did a great reading job too, well done!
    And as you know, I have read and loved the ones by Ernaux and Orwell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma. Reviews are about to come up. Couldn't write them as quickly as I finished them.
      I just read a good list of other movies on Mel U's blog, many many more movies there.

      Delete
  4. You did well. Impressive list of films, which I have to look at more. For the books I am interested in Ernaux and Orwell, but the others sounds interesting too. Especially, why the French women don't get fat. One might learn something there.
    I am happy you enjoyed Paris in July. So did I, I managed more than I thought from the beginning. Emma did a great job to inspire all bloggers. I still have some to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisbeth. I am sure I left out some films that I didn't think about right now but others have also done lists, so I guess we will get a good mixture of movies there.
      As for the books, watch this space for the reviews. I know you do anyway.
      And I totally agree, Emma did a great job. I once did a buddy-read with her, she is so well organized. And just lovely altogether.

      Delete
  5. I've seen several of these movies. I love Les Mis and Ratatouille especially but also loved Sabrina (both versions although I think newer one is my favorite) and Charade. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. I hope you will find a few more from the list. Les Mis is not my favourite, I just can't warm to the composer, the songs did nothing for me. But the actors were all great, that helped.

      Delete