Thursday 13 July 2023

#ThrowbackThursday. Some Joyce Carol Oates Books


I have read several books by JCO and loved them all. Now, I don't want to look back at them all at the same time but these were the first five of her that I read:

Oates, Joyce Carol "We Were the Mulvaneys" - 1996

True, the Mulvaneys are a happy family, a special kind of family, they are rich, beautiful, have a fantastic live, a wonderful home, own a huge farm and everybody envies them. Until that event on Valentine's Day after which the whole world changes An interesting story about how one incident can destroy someone but how determination can bring them up again.

Read my original review here.

Oates, Joyce Carol "Dear Husband, stories" - 2009

The stories are very different, different outcomes, none of them very nice, though. A lot of mother-son problems. I don't have those kind of problems but - as a mother of two teenage sons - could relate to a lot of them.

Read my original review here.

Oates, Joyce Carol "Middle Age" - 2001

A man dies and all of a sudden all his skeletons come out of the closet. A very interesting story about life in a small town and how everyone tries to hide everything from each other. Everybody knows everyone and everybody knows everyone's secrets, yet, everyone tries to pretend they don't. Sounds familiar? If not, you have probably lived in a large town all your life.

Read my original review here.

Oates, Joyce Carol "The Falls" - 2004

"A man climbs over the railings and plunges into Niagara Falls. A newlywed, he has left behind his wife, Ariah Erskine, in the honeymoon suite the morning after their wedding."


This is how the story begins. The "Widow Bride" starts a new life but her past catches up with her.

The novel left me devastated. Great read.

Read my original review here.

Oates, Joyce Carol "The Gravedigger's Daughter" - 2007

Joyce Carol Oates didn't disappoint me with this novel, either. A story of new beginnings and good-byes, of violence and murder, a search for identity, "The Gravedigger's Daughter" is a gripping, very exciting book you just cannot put down.

Read my original review here.

Find links to all my other Joyce Carol Oates reviews here.

6 comments:

  1. I had to read several of Oates' short stories in high school, but I've never actually read one of her novels. Which seems like a sad omission in my reading life. Which book of hers do you love most?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, that's a tough one, Lark. Three of my absolute favourites are already up there: We Were the Mulvaneys, The Falls and The Gravedigger's Daughter. Of the top of my head, Mudwoman is also great. And The Man Without a Shadow. Gosh, I have to stop there, otherwise I'll list all of her books. I guess you can tell I'm a huge fan. I must warn you though, none of her books are about "nice" themes but I don't think that is a big problem for you.

      Delete
    2. No...I've read enough of her short stories to know that she doesn't do "nice" books. She seems to lean more towards thought-provoking.

      Delete
    3. Oh, definitely thought-provoking. That's a great word for it. And those are my favourite books. Thanks, Lark.

      Delete
  2. I have read one of her books, but can't remember which one. It was about a young girl, is all I remember. I am sure there might be many books by her that fits that description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that problem, Lisbeth. From these here, it might be "We Were the Mulvaneys" or "The Gravedigger's Daughter" but there are several others that I have read and certainly a few more that I have not read, yet. If you remember more, let me know. Or read the book descriptions in my blogposts.

      Delete