Saturday 1 July 2023

Spell the Month in Books ~ July

       
Reviews from the Stacks

I found this on one of the blogs I follow, Books are the New Black who found it at One Book More. It was originally created by Reviews from the Stacks, and the idea is to spell the month using the first letter of book titles.

July: Red, White, and/or Blue on the cover or in the title
I tried to do both, covers with the word in it and in the right colour but that looked impossible with my books. So, I chose some that I haven't used too often for spelling the months.

There are many countries with those colours in their flag, two out of the four I lived in even have them, as well, the United Kingdom and the Netherlands.

JULY

J
Bach, Richard "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" - 1970
Jonathan Livingston is a seagull who is not happy with his life, with all the other seagulls always fighting. He tries to do something better, he wants to be the best flying seagull. Then he meets two other seagulls who want to take him to a higher place, a kind of paradise. He learns a lot about the meaning of life which he teaches to his fellow seagulls when he returns.


U
Hanks, Tom "Uncommon Type. Some Stories" - 2017
All these stories have something in common. In every single one of them, there is a typewriter, mostly an older one, not an electric one, not a computer, no, one of those nice old mechanical ones. 

L
Segal, Erich "Love Story" - 1970
Who doesn't know this  beautiful story, one of the greatest love stories ever told. I teaches us that love is possible even if the circumstances don't seem to allow it. That love is without end even though the circumstances try to show us that is. That love can be beautiful, even if everything around us is ugly and terrible.


Y
Johnson, Maureen; Cooper, Jay "Your Guide to Not Getting Murdered in a Quaint English Village" - 2021
For all fans of Midsomer Murders. They tell you what to avoid: the vicar, high places, low places, dark places, any places, empty houses, bridges and tunnels, any kind of events, village, sports or otherwise, any kind of family gatherings etc. etc.

Happy Reading!
📚 📚 📚

12 comments:

  1. Great choices, and I have actually read the two first books. I loved the book about Jonathan, although I am not a fan of seagulls/Möwen in real life. The last book sounds interesting, and considering all murders taking place in the English countryside, one wonders how many people there still are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee, Lisbeth. I am sure Midsomer will be empty by the middle of the century. At least! LOL.
      I think most people are not big fans of seagulls, especially if one of them stole their food. But the story is wonderful. And the music to the film was written by my all-time favourite singer-songwriter, Neil Diamond. What's not to like? ;)

      Delete
  2. Fun choices! I can never seem to find covers in the right colors for posts like these. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have plenty of books with red, white and blue covers, Lark. There are so many in the genres I read. The trouble was finding some with the letters we needed for July. And I didn't want to use the same books again and again.
      Still, it's always fun to go through your books for these challenges because it gives you the opportunity to reminisce about them.

      Delete
  3. My post last week has a great red cover with some blue and white. Hope you visit!
    Cheers, Harvee at https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, thanks, Harvee. I had a sneak peek and it looks like it would be ideal for this month. I'll comment later.

      Delete
  4. Really neat!
    Here is mine: https://wordsandpeace.com/2023/07/03/spell-the-month-in-books-july-2023/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma. I am always looking forward to your lists.

      Delete
  5. I love this! Love Story looks really good, I'm always down for a good romance read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah. Well, it's a classic, probably not the usual romance book but one of the best romantic stories. And even the movie was great.

      Delete
  6. Well, I've read all but the last one, but it sounds cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hilarious, Davida, especially if you are a fan of "Midsomer Murders".

      Delete