Thursday 1 November 2018

Happy November!

Happy November to all my friends and readers

New Calendar picture with this
beautiful watercolour painting by Frank Koebsch


"Schwäne im Flug"
"Swans in Flight"



November is often not considered to be a happy month. There are so many church feasts that let us think about our departed loves ones, All Saints, All Souls, the Day of Repentance and the Sunday of the Dead are all celebrated in November. In Germany, we also have the National Day of Mourning to commemorate all the soldiers and civilians who died in wars, conflicts and political unrest. And then there is Remembrance Day for the members of the Commonwealth nations. 

But despite all this, I love November. It is a month of reflection, the weather just gets you to do so. And before all that Christmas stress begins. The songs get more melancholic, minor scale, beautiful. 

The birthstone for this month is the topaz which is a silicate mineral containing aluminium and fluorine. It's golden brown to yellow but can appear in many different colours. It's a symbol of friendship, therefore quite fitting for the blog.

Enjoy this month with this beautiful watercolour painting by Frank Koebsch.

You can find many more wonderful pictures on their website here.

2 comments:

  1. I love the watercolour. I had not realized there were that many days of remembrance in November. I do always celebrate All Saints Day, if only in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably didn't grow up in such a Catholic area as I did. ;) Anyway, I think it goes with the weather at this time of year and that we reflect from the end of the year to the end of our lives. And, of course, WWI ended in November, so that's how that came about.

      I do love the pictures by Frank and Hanka, they are always beautiful. Next year's calendar is already waiting on my shelf.

      Enjoy the month. Talk to you soon.

      Delete