Tuesday 24 March 2020

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Top Ten Alternate History Novels


"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish".

It is now hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

Today is a genre freebie. There are many different ones I like, so it was a tough decision. But in the end I chose:

Alternate History

I haven't read all that many books in this genre but I do love it. Just fantasizing what would happen if a certain event hadn't taken place, if a certain person hadn't been born, a certain decision had been made differently and what the world would look like today.

My favourite of them all is certainly "The Children's War" and its follow-up "A Change of Regime" but there are so many others out there that I still haven't read.

But here is my selection:
Basti, Abel & van Helsing, Jan "Hitler in Argentina" (German: Hitler überlebte in Argentinien) - 2011
Chabon, Michael "The Yiddish Policemen’s Union" - 2007
Clarke, Susanna "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell" - 2004
Palma, Felix J. "The Map of Chaos" (Spanish: El mapa del caos) - 2014
Palma, Félix J. "The Map of the Sky" (Spanish: El mapa del cielo) - 2012
Palma, Félix J. "The Map of Time" (Spanish: El mapa del tiempo) - 2008
Roth, Philip "The Ghost Writer" - 1979
Sansom, C.J. "Dominion" - 2011
Stroyar, J.N. "The Children's War" - 2001
Stroyar, J.N. "A Change of Regime" - 2004

6 comments:

  1. I love the Alternate History genre as well. What a great list.

    My TTT .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit and the compliment. We seem to stumble upon each other every time I post something at TTT. I think we have a similar reading taste. Now, I probably wouldn't choose ghost stories per se but I have come across some that I quite enjoyed, so will have to look at your list a little more closely.

      Delete
  2. I've never been a fan of alternative history. Glad you enjoy it. http://pmprescott.blogspot.com/2020/03/ttt-032420.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we all have our different tastes. Funny you should say that, I'm not much interested in sci-fi and even less in fantasy, although in some respect I think sci-fi and alternative history resemble each other in that they change facts and build a story on it.

      Thanks for your visit and talk to you again soon, I'm sure.

      Delete
  3. I have always meant to read the Felix J Palma books. If only I could read even more than I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling! Have you read The Time Machine, The War of the Worlds or "The Invisible Man" by H.G. Wells. I have only read the first one (later than the book it was based on) and wish somehow I had read them all first. Mind you, I still loved these books, so no harm done.

      Delete