Friday 3 September 2021

Book Quotes of the Week

    
Word cloud made with WordItOut

"Books do not age as you and I do. They will still speak when we are gone, to generations we will never see. Yes, the books must survive." Corrie Ten Boom, The Rabbi of Haarlem in The Hiding Place

Isn't that fantastic? A book can be hundreds of years old and still as new to us as if it had been written yesterday.

"Books aren't like broccoli. You don't have to eat it because it's good for you. Books drag you in because they are fascinating." Jackie French

Nevertheless, books are good for you and, at times, we can devour them.

"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." Dr. Seuss

He might be true there, yet, I prefer to look from the right end of the telescope. Still, I know many agree and love and need fantasy, so it's good that it's there for us. I remember when Harry Potter came out and even the kids who never wanted to read started reading, especially the boys.

Find more book quotes here

8 comments:

  1. Love these! Especially that idea about books never aging. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really loved that, as well, Lark. And it is so true. Elizabeth Bennett is still only one and twenty, even if we have to add two hundred years.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. And they do, Sarah. They can try burning some but they will never destroy them. On the countrary, the more people protest against of forbid certain books, the more others get interested in them.

      Delete
    2. Exactly. One of our libraries currently has a banned books display. I love it.

      Delete
    3. It's always interesting to see why certain books are banned. Sometimes there are really stupid reasons. And often it's a reason to read them.

      Delete
  3. I was part of a zoom w/shop today encouraging homeschooling mums to read to nourish themselves and we talked about not just reading books because they're 'good for you.' There are plenty of books that are enjoyable without having to drudge your way through books that have no interest for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Carol. I don't like certain genres but I wouldn't look down on anyone reading them. I need a challenge, others need a distraction. Read what you enjoy, that's my motto.

      So great of you to encourage other mums to read for themselves. I don't know where I'd be today if I hadn't had my books, I doubt I'd be there at all.

      Delete