Wednesday 1 September 2021

Happy September!

 Happy September to all my friends and readers

New Calendar picture with this
beautiful watercolour painting by Hanka Koebsch

"Unter der Sonne Afrikas"
"Under Africa's Sun"


Normally, Hanka and Frank surprise us with a picture from their home area, the Baltic Sea. But this time we can travel with them halfway around the world, to Africa's savanna. And Hanka painted my favourite animal, an elephant. And what a wonderful picture it is. Just beautiful.

* * *

The Low German name for September is "Harwstmaond", the English translation is "Autumn Moon" (or "Fall Moon", as the Americans say). The High German word for autumn is Herbst, so you can see where that word went. And that's a good word for this month as it is the beginning of autumn, at least in our Northern Hemisphere. And autumn is my favourite season.

* * *

So, my favourite animal, my favourite season, and my birthday month. Could it get better? Yes, indeed, it could and it can. Last month, our youngest son found a new apartment in Brussels and in order for him to move in, he needs some of his stuff. So, he came round in August and we could see him for the third time in two years. And this month he will come again with his brother, picking up some furniture. We will then have seen them for the third and fourth time in two years.

 Let's all hope, Covid will allow us more get-togethers in future. If you haven't been vaccinated and have the chance, please, do so, you're making it harder for all of us to get back to a normal life if you don't.

* * *

As I mentioned last month, schools have started or will start again. The holidays were not the same as usual, it wasn't very full anywhere, even though most people did not go on a long and faraway trip. Everyone is still very cautious.

* * *

This month is very important for us Germans. Every four years, we have elections to the federal parliament (Bundestag). It is going to be quite hard this year as many parties have used the Covid pandemic as a basis for their campaigns. We all hope that things will get better after the elections but I doubt it.

The biggest problem will be: who will be the new chancellor? Angela Merkel has been IT since 2005 and nobody knows who would be good enough to replace her. But she is definitely retiring. She doesn't belong to a party I would ever vote for but she has my respect. She knew how to get people to do something and I am sure we would have had a lot more problems during the pandemic than we have had if it hadn't been for her.

So, wish us luck that we get a good new chancellor and a good new party (or parties) to govern our country.


* * *

Weather lore (or farmers' rule) for September

Am feinen Septemberregen ist dem Bauer gelegen.
The farmer cares about the fine September rain.

Maria Geburt fliegen die Schwalben fort.
Marymas (Nativity of Mary) the swallows fly away. (= 8th of September)

* * *

Which reminds me of another "Mas" day, Michaelmas (29thSeptember). It was traditionally a popular legal date to pay rent, lease or interest and to hire new servants (same as Candlemas on 2nd of February).
And farmers believed that when they opened gall apples on Michaelmas, their content predicted the fertility of the coming year.


To this day, it's tradition to bake Michaelibrot (St. Michael's bread) from freshly ground cereal grains.

St. Michael is supposed to be the highest of the archangels and hence the greatest of all the angels.

* * *

Since the early 1990s we celebrate Open Monument Day as part of the European Heritage Days. A lot of monuments that are usually not open to the public, are free to be visited. Always a nice way to see something you don't get to visit otherwise.

This year's motto is "Existence and appearance - in history, architecture and monument preservation". (Sein und Schein - in Geschichte, Architektur und Denkmalpflege)

I wish you all a wonderful "autumn month" with many great books to read.

* * *

Have a happy September with this beautiful watercolour painting by Hanka Koebsch.


You can find many more wonderful pictures on their website here.

You can also have a look under my labels Artist: Frank Koebsch and Artist: Hanka Koebsch where you can find all my posts about them.

6 comments:

  1. I do not know a lot about modern German politics but I admire Merkel's leadership even though like you, she does not belong to a party I would likely support if I were German. Strong leadership was so crucial from the earliest days and it is obvious which countries had it and which did not. Good luck to you as Germany elects new leadership!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah. Many people don't know a lot about other countries' politics, not even Europeans about their closest neighbours. I doubt most Germans would know the leader of the Netherlands or what title he has, for example (which, by the way, is Prime Minister Mark Rutte at the moment). Germany is always more on the plate because of our history and the influence we have as one of the largest countries in Europe but still. So, don't worry.

      Thanks for your good wishes, let's hope for the best.

      Delete
    2. Same here, really. I mean, I know Justin Trudeau is the Prime Minister of Canada, but partly do to the fact that he's so dreamy.

      I knew Mexico's president when the former guy was arguing with him over the stupid wall that no one is going to pay for, but I do not know who the new president is. BUT, I at least know that Mexico has a president as the highest ranking title.

      Delete
    3. Germany has nine neighbouring countries and while I know what their highest ranking titles are, I don't always know the names of all the current incumbents. I mostly know the bad ones better than the good ones.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely and informative post, in so many different ways. I enjoyed reading your happy thoughts and good news about your boys' visits. The painting is beautiful. And I think you know, I only wish the best for Germany's new leadership. Much respect for Chancellorin Merkel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca, I'm glad my readers/friends enjoy these posts. And the paintings, they are indeed wonderful. I just got the new calendar for next year and there are some great pictures there, as well.

      Thanks for the good wishes. It's always hard to follow in the footsteps of a successful person but the choices we have!! Oh my!

      Delete