Wednesday 28 June 2023

Brooks, Geraldine "People of the Book"

Brooks, Geraldine "People of the Book" - 2008

This is going to be one of my favourite books this year. Such a wonderful story about a book and its history. I have once read a similar story, well, not a similar story, just a book that tries to follow a piece of art, a painting from today into past until it was created. That was by Susan Vreeland and it was called "Girl in Hyacinth Blue". I loved that one and this was just as interesting.

The main "character" is the Sarajevo Haggada, a Jewish religious book that really exists (see here on Wikipedia or here on The National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina website) The word "haggada" is Hebrew for telling, story or account, the book "Haggadah" is a text that describes the order of the Passover Seder.

There are books, even ancient ones, where you know exactly where they come from and who made them. This is not one. The author has put down some ideas and made a wonderful story about it that travels around the whole world. From the Australian conservationist who tries to find some clues that sound just like a crime story we travel back from Bosnia-Herzegovina to Italy, Austria, Spain and to the shores of Ifriqiya (modern day Tunisia, parts of Algeria and Libya). In between, we visit the Untied States and the United Kingdom where the protagonist does not only find out more about the book but also about her family.

I absolutely loved the whole story, how we get to know the different kinds of people who contributed first to the creation of the book and then to the saving of it. Some of the ideas might even be true. Well, we can always dream.

Remarks from the book club:
I partly felt the book was really interesting and wanted to know more about the old stories from history.
The parts about WWII always feel a little too close for comfort anyway.
The author's experience as a journalist shone through the story. But the present day frame-story felt slightly "puff-piece" kind of full with story gaps.
Overall still give it 4/5 or maybe even 4,5/5.

We read this in our international online book club in October 2023.

From the back cover:

"During World War II a Bosnian Muslim risks his life to save the book from the Nazis; it gets caught up in the intrigues of hedonistic 19th-century Vienna; a Catholic priest saves it from burning in the fires of Inquisition. These stories and more make up the secret history of the priceless Sarajevo Haggadah - a medieval Jewish prayer book recovered from the smouldering ruins of the war-torn city.
Now it is in the skilled hands of rare-book restorer Hanna Heath. And while the content of the book interests her, it is the hidden history which captures her imagination. Because to her the tiny clues - salt crystals, a hair, wine stains - that she discovers in the pages and bindings are keys to unlock its mysteries.
"

11 comments:

  1. Nice review! Not sure why I have been hesitating on this one. Now I really need to try it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma. I have an explanation: Too many books, too little time. But I really recommend this. Such a beautiful book about a book!!!

      Delete
  2. A Jewish friend of mine urged me to read this years ago, but I never did. I do have a couple of Brooks' works, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Stephen. I am happy to hear that it is recommended by a Jewish reader, because it shows that she really reported it well. I can highly recommend this, if you've liked other works by her, this is even better.

      Delete
  3. Sounds interesting. I have read about her, and have a book by her, Nine Parts of Desire. I have probably had it for over 20 years, and don't know why I have not read it. Time now perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of that book, Lisbeth, so I will have to explore. Because so far, I have loved all of her books.
      And yes, the reason usually is: too little time, too many books. Or the other way around.

      Delete
    2. She takes a look at women and Islam so it should be very interesting.

      Delete
    3. Definitely. And Judaism, and the relation between the religions, so much to say.

      Delete
  4. This is one of my favorite all time all time novels ever written!! I also read Susan Vreeland's 'The Girl In Hyacinth Blue', which I also enjoyed reading very much as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that will be the same for me, Lisa. It's definitely my favourite book this year so far, and I have read a few great ones. Thanks for that comment.

      Delete