Saturday 2 March 2024

Six Degrees of Separation ~ From Tom Lake to Silent House

 

#6Degrees of Separation:
from Tom Lake (Goodreadsto Silent House

#6Degrees is a monthly link-up hosted by Kate at Books Are My Favourite and Best. I love the idea. Thank you, Kate. See more about this challenge, its history, further books and how I found this here.

This month we start with "Tom Lake" by Ann Patchett. I have read several books by this author. Some I liked, others not so much.

This is the description of the book:
"In this beautiful and moving novel about family, love, and growing up, Ann Patchett once again proves herself one of America’s finest writers.

In the spring of 2020, Lara’s three daughters return to the family's orchard in Northern Michigan. While picking cherries, they beg their mother to tell them the story of Peter Duke, a famous actor with whom she shared both a stage and a romance years before at a theater company called Tom Lake. As Lara recalls the past, her daughters examine their own lives and relationship with their mother, and are forced to reconsider the world and everything they thought they knew.

Tom Lake is a meditation on youthful love, married love, and the lives parents have led before their children were born. Both hopeful and elegiac, it explores what it means to be happy even when the world is falling apart. As in all of her novels, Ann Patchett combines compelling narrative artistry with piercing insights into family dynamics. The result is a rich and luminous story, told with profound intelligence and emotional subtlety, that demonstrates once again why she is one of the most revered and acclaimed literary talents working today."
 
I will use a word in the title from one book and find another book with that same word in the title. The starter word is Lake.

Lawson, Mary "Crow Lake" - 2002

MacDonald, Ann-Marie "The Way the Crow Flies" - 2003

Carey, Peter "A Long Way From Home" - 2017

Bryson, Bill "Notes From a Small Island" - 1995

Trollope, Anthony "Barchester Chronicles": The Small House at Allington - 1864

Pamuk, Orhan
"Silent House" (TR: Sessiz Ev) - 1983

📚📚📚

"Crow Lake" by Mary Lawson is one of my favourite books and she is one of my favourite authors. And the link to the last book is that Orhan Pamuk is also one of my absolute favourite writers. And both the stories are about families with problems.

18 comments:

  1. Very fun chain of book titles! I always meant to read Crow Lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lark. It is definitely one of my favourite books ever. I read it with several book clubs and everyone always really loved it. I'm sure you will, as well.
      Happy Sunday!

      Delete
  2. Very nicely done! Thanks for visiting mine as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But of course, Davida. I always enjoy your posts. Thanks for returning the visit. Happy Sunday.

      Delete
  3. I should put Crow Lake on my possibility list for my book group. If only they would let me pick the book every month! Sometimes people choose things without really considering if it will provide a good discussion. You will enjoy Tom Lake, also, once you have the opportunity to read it.

    Constance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Constance. We usually discuss what book we will read next and a gentle reminder that there isn't much to talk about often helps. I don't know how your book club works but I have read Crow Lake with several and it was always a great choice and led to wonderful discussions even though everyone loved it.
      Good luck!

      Delete
  4. Since I am just getting around to the month in books, I will aim for adding this one next year lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you would do great, Sarah. You could include a lot of non-fiction books, even if the starter is a fiction one.

      Delete
    2. I think it would be pretty easy for me to do with non-fiction, they would probably all be on the same topic each month.

      Delete
    3. That wouldn't matter, would definitely be a great chain.

      Delete
    4. Maybe I will start tinkering with it over spring break this week. I was worried I wouldn't be able to sustain the blog the same way I did at the start of the year and I am still feeling so motivated, so I better jump on that feeling while it is still here. It's so eay to just wander away and read and ignore the blog.

      Delete
    5. We all have those times where we don't know whether we can carry on with something or other. I always try to remember why I started it in the first place and how much fun I have had, and then I go on somehow.
      I am glad you decided to carry on, Sarah.

      Delete
    6. Thank you! I think what makes me not want to blog sometimes is that I have SO many reviews to post and even though I KNOW I don't need to review everything, some of those books have been waiting years.

      Delete
    7. I totally know what you mean, Sarah. I have that problem since I started that German blog. I want to translate all the reviews I have about all the books that are available in German but it's not just translating the text, it's looking for a picture of the German cover, adding the links at the appropriate places etc. etc. You know what I mean.
      And then there are the English books I read recently that I still have to post ...

      Delete
    8. Yes! There are so many little things going into these posts that we don't think about until it is time to actually do the post. Some of these take ages to do!

      Delete
    9. Exactly. If we want the blog to be easy to read and manage for our followers, there is a lot we have to think about.

      Delete
  5. Clever. Just working with words in titles. I am going to steal this idea sometime. Here is my link: 6 Degrees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Anne, steal away. I stole it from Emma and I know she won't mind. It's a great way, especially if you haven't read the starter book or don't like something about it.
      Thanks for your link, I'll head up there soon!

      Delete