Tuesday 19 March 2024

Top 5 Tuesday ~ Green Books

 

Top Five Tuesday was originally created by Shanah @ Bionic Book Worm, but is now hosted by Meeghan @ Meeghan Reads. To participate, link your post back to Meeghan’s blog or leave a comment on her weekly post. I found this on Davida's Page @ The Chocolate Lady.

* * *

This week’s topic: Top 5 Green Books

17 March is St Patrick’s Day, so to share in the celebration of shamrocks, share your top 5 books with a green cover This should not be a huge problem for me since green is my favourite colour. I was trying to find some green books that take place in Ireland or are written by Irish authors. Alas, there weren't any, really. But I managed to find some books with about 99% green on their covers.

☘ Happy St. Patrick's Day! ☘

Aitken, Ben "Dear Bill Bryson: Footnotes from a Small Island" - 2015
If you love Bill Bryson (like me), you will like this homage. Ben Aitken travelled the same route as Bill Bryson did in 1995 (as described in his book "Notes from a Small Island"), only about twenty years later.

Aleichem, Scholem "Tevye the Dairyman" (yidd: Tewje, der Milchiger טבֿיה דער מילכיקער, Jidd. und טוביה החולב, Hebr.) - 1894-1916
"Fiddler on the Roof" is one of my favourite movies and this is the original book. This is not just the story of Tevye and his wife Golde but even more that of their daughters Tzeitel, Hodel, Chawa, Shprintze, Teibel and Beijke. Every single one of them has their own story. I love the language in the book.

Follett, Ken "The Evening and the Morning" (Kingsbridge #0.5) - 2020
If you love the Kingsbridge series, this is a must. It's especially interesting since it takes place about a thousand years before us. A whole millennium. We can see how much has changed - and how much hasn't. Impressive.
And if you haven't read any book in the series, it's about time you started. You won't regret it, I promise.

Guo, Xiaolu (郭小橹) "Language" - 2017
The story of a Chinese girl who moves to England. At first, her English is rather limited. But you can tell by the time you get to the end that she gets better all the time. A good book to understand foreigners coming to your country.

Sand, George "Fadette" (aka Fanchon, the Cricket) (F: La Petite Fadette) - 1849
This novel gives you an insight into rural life in France of the 19th century and it isn't a very difficult read which made it worth my while because I like to read in French. But here, I only chose it because of the green cover.

* * *

☘ Happy Reading! ☘
📚 📚 📚

12 comments:

  1. Very nicely done. I'm glad you love green. It is actually one of my least favorite colors, but hey, to each their own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly it, Davida. We all love different colours. I can wear blue and green best, that might be one of the reasons I love it so much. But it also reminds us of nature and that's always a nice idea.

      Delete
  2. Great list and it's neat how you colored the blog green! My son's favorite color :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. As green is my favourite colour, I already have a lot of green in my blog. ;) Say hi to your son from a fellow green-lover.

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of "Dear Bill Bryson"...I wonder if it fired back at some of Bryson's crankiness. His travel books are the least humorous of his works IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Stephen. It is a nice book about the first "Notes from a Small Island". I do love the crankiness, I must admit, I find it hilarious. I might say that's because I'm a cranky old woman myself but I read his first book thirty years ago and loved it then as much as I do today.
      Maybe you should give "Dear Bill Bryson" a go.

      Delete
  4. I have a partly green cover in front of me, otherwise I think I would have difficulties finding such covers. Some interesting books there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you've read books with green covers before, just never noticed. I'm always in trouble finding books that are pink.

      Delete
  5. Such great green covers! I like the one for Fadette especially. I've only read one book by George Sand ,but I'd like to read more at some point. Would you recommend this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that cover as well, Lark. Very much. This was my first book by George Sand and I found her a little too easy-going and would have liked a little more criticism of the way women were treated. I don't know which one of her books you read, I should have a look.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous covers! Bill Bryson and I have a love/hate relationship. I really love some of his books, and others annoy me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that a lot, Sarah. I guess you prefer his non-fiction books over the travel ones? I love him all over and am sad he doesn't write more.

      Delete