Tuesday 26 March 2024

Top 5 Tuesday ~ Female Authors

 

Top Five Tuesday was originally created by Shanah @ Bionic Book Worm, but is now hosted by Meeghan @ Meeghan Reads. To participate, link your post back to Meeghan’s blog or leave a comment on her weekly post. I found this on Davida's Page @ The Chocolate Lady.

* * *
This week’s topic is a freebie. As I've only participated once, I have a choice of many topics I miseed. I first thought about doing Books with Baked Goods but then decided for the one from 5 March: Top 5 Female Authors

March is women’s history month, and 8 March is international Women’s Day (and this is pretty close), so who are your top 5 female authors?

I have a huge choice, I know some great female authors whom I love, tough to choose just five. I love classic books but I chose some contemporary authors where I hope they will write more. In every case, I went with the first book I read by that author, otherwise it would have been even harder to choose the best book they wrote. So, here we go:

Chevalier, Tracy "Girl with a Pearl Earring" - 1999
I read this book while living in the Netherlands. The main character is 16 year old Griet from Delft, a maid in the house of the famous painter. She doesn't just become a good help, she also is the model for his famous picture "Girl with a Pearl Earring". Even though this is fiction and it is generally assumed that the girl in this painting is one of Vermeer's own daughters, the story still is very interesting.

Hislop, Victoria "The Island" - 2005
An interesting book about a wonderful part of this world with a harrowing past. The island of Spinalonga was used as a leper colony from 1903 to 1957. People who were banned there wouldn't return into normal life until a cure was found.
This book reflects on the lives of the people on this island, how they got there, how their everyday life was, how life was for those left behind, how the people in the little village just opposite the island were.

Kingsolver, Barbara "The Poisonwood Bible" - 1998
This story is told in diary form by the wife and four daughters of a preacher. He takes them to Africa where all five of them have different experiences and see the country with different perspectives. The father is quite abusive, not what you would expect a religious man to be.

Lawson, Mary "Crow Lake" - 2002
This is the story of a girl who is raised by her two older brothers and it describes the struggle they go through on their way to adulthood. The book combines everything, tragedy, drama, love story, sacrifices, the "togetherness" of a small community. The characters are well written, and so are the episodes

Oates, Joyce Carol
"We Were the Mulvaneys" - 1996
True, the Mulvaneys are a happy family, a special kind of family, they are rich, beautiful, have a fantastic live, a wonderful home, own a huge farm and everybody envies them. Until that event on Valentine's Day after which the whole world changes An interesting story about how one incident can destroy someone but how determination can bring them up again.

* * *

👩‍🏫Happy Reading!👩‍🏫
📚 📚 📚

18 comments:

  1. It would indeed be tough to choose only five. I am on board with anything Tracy Chevalier authors. I also like Claire Lombardo and Valerie Perrin so they would go on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not heard of Claire Lombardo or Valerie Perrin, so I have to investigate. Thanks, Tina.

      Delete
  2. I'm not a huge Oates fan, and I've never read Mary Lawson, but I do really admire both Barbara Kingsolver and Tracy Chevalier! and I'm impressed that you could come up with a list of only 5 female authors you love. I don't know how I would narrow my favs down to just 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. It was indeed tough but I find it easier to choose five than ten. First, I narrowed it down to contemporary authors who are still alive and who are still writing. Then, I only chose some where I really liked everything I read, and in some cases that is everything they wrote.
      I think you would love Mary Lawson. I have yet to meet someone who doesn't.

      Delete
    2. I've got A Town Called Solace on my TBR list...it's the one I'm hoping to read first.

      Delete
    3. That was her last one. It doesn't matter in what order you read them, they are all great.

      Delete
  3. My most popular female authors are: Philippa Gregory, Alison Weir and Agatha Christie. I still have some Barbara Kingsolver and Tracy Chevalier to read - I'll get to them eventually! In non-fiction both Alice Roberts and Helen Rappaport are usually automatic buys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see, you like historical novels best, I suppose, Kitten. As I just said, I only took contemporary authors who are still alive, so that rules out Agatha Christie. I have read the Tudor books by Alison Weir but they are more or less non-fiction, so I ruled her out. I do like her books, though. The last two, I don't think I ever heard of them.

      Delete
  4. Great choices, but difficult ones. I can agree with you on Kingsolver, definitely a favourite, and Tracy Chevalier. If I don't look at classics, I would choose Isabel Allende as one. Donna Tartt with The Secret History, the only book I have read by her. I want to read The Goldfinch, but have not got around to it yet. I also add Fred Vargas, although the detective genre, the stories are great. But, there are many more out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isabel Allende would probably have been the sixth on my list. Donna Tartt, I've only read The Goldfinch which was brilliant. Not a fan of crime stories, so I've never read a Fred Vargas. But yes, it is difficult and we all have our favourites.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I don't know whether I could manage that always but I like the idea, Sarah.

      Delete
    2. I might have to start checking out this Top 5, as prior I have only done Jana's TTT.

      Delete
    3. I love TTT and will carry on doing those but I often find, I've done a certain topic already dozens of times. So, I'll probably alternate between the two.

      Delete
  6. Barbara Kingsolver's novel, The Poisonwood Bible, is one of my favorite books! Geraldine Brooks is another writer I admire. Her novel, People of the Book is another amazing read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, Lisa. Both the books you mention belong to my favourite ones. I just didn't mention Geraldine Brooks because I haven't read as many of her books, yet. And if you haven't read any of the other authors, I would think you should love them, as well.

      Delete
    2. I've read only one novel by Tracy Chevalier and loved it! I have read 3 books by JCO and have mixed feelings about her books.

      Delete
    3. You and many others, Lisa. I think not all of JCO's books are for everyone. I have yet to come across on of her writings that I didn't like but I understand those who have.
      I think you would love Victoria Hislop and Mary Lawson, though. I have recommended them to many and they all loved them.

      Delete