Thursday 14 March 2024

#ThrowbackThursday. My first books by Wally Lamb

I have read quite a few books by Wally Lamb and I hope he will write more. These are the first three books I read by him and I have wanted to read more and more ever since.
 
Lamb, Wally "She's Come Undone" - 1997

Mother-daughter relationship, religion, death and coming to terms with it, obesity, self-delusion, women-men relationships, change in our culture, this book has it all. A lot of familiarity with the characters, sometimes you have to laugh about that, sometimes you feel "touché".

If you like a book that addresses problems and is fun to read, this will be a book for you. I liked it a lot.
Lamb, Wally "I know this much is true" - 1998

This is a very moving book, wonderful and awful at the same time. It's incredible how much a person can bear if they have to. Dominick has to deal with so many issues and there is no-one who can help him here but himself. The author has a very talented way of describing people in any kind of despair. His accounts are very emphatic, you really can understand the characters. I loved this.
Lamb, Wally "The Hour I First Believed" - 2008

Columbine High School, Littleton, Colorado, 1999. Caelum Quirk is a teacher at that school, his wife works there as a school nurse. He is in Connecticut visiting his aunt after her stroke while his wife hides in the school hoping not to be killed by the two students to are out on a warpath.

This book is not about those unfortunate students and teachers that were killed on that terrible day, it is about those "lucky" enough to survive, those that got away.

Read my original reviews here, here and here.

8 comments:

  1. Another author I haven't yet read. And I can't even give you a good reason why. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no good reason, Lark, other than that there are thousands of books on our TBR piles already. I absolutely love his books.

      Delete
  2. Always good to find an author whom we really enjoy. I have not read anything by him, but I see he's written quite a lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He hasn't written as much as I would have liked to, Emma, but that is also a good sign. He thoroughly investigates his topics. And is a good writer, so nothing you wouldn't like.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. So many people have not read anything by him, Joy. Of course, there are so many books and so little time but all in all, I wish everyone would read something by him. I'm looking forward to reading what you think.

      Delete
  4. I have never heard of him, but he sounds like an interesting author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He definitely is, Lisbeth. I'm sure you would like him.

      Delete