Wednesday 15 May 2019

Trollope, Joanna "Next of Kin"


Trollope, Joanna "Next of Kin" - 1996

I thought, I had read something by Joanna Trollope before but it turned out to be another author. I doubt I would have picked this book otherwise.

It was an alright read, not badly written but I couldn't relate to the characters, it was all a little too wishy-washy, not deep enough for the promises on the book cover.

I file it under chick-lit.

From the back cover:

"The land running down to the River Dean has been farmed by the Meredith family for generations. Robin Meredith bought the farm from his father, just before he married his wife Caro and now he and his brother Joe work on the land. But now Caro has died, as much as a mystery to the family as she was when she arrived twenty years ago, and the whole family feels her loss acutely, none more so than her adopted daughter Judy.

Into this unhappy family comes Zoe, Judy's London friend, an outsider with an independent spirit and a disturbing directness. Everyone underestimates Zoe's power as a catalyst for change as the realities behind the seeming idyll of a rural community become ever clearer."

4 comments:

  1. I looked her up. She writes Romance. I used to read Romance but no more. At least now you know-:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have chosen it if I'd know, I just thaught it was another author. Doh!

      Delete
  2. Hello Marianne!

    I hope this comment finds you well. I just saw your reply on my website, after almost a year! I'm so sorry! I really need to look into that.

    Anyhow, Eurovision is comming up again! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello XPG,
      I don't really know your name but I know I love your blog. As an expat in my third foreign country, I can relate to a lot of your posts. And sometimes, I even manage to comment. ;)

      Don't worry about replying late, I know we all have a life to live outside of our blog.

      And I did enjoy Eurovision a lot this year. My favourite was Norway, what about yours?

      Have a great day and talk to you again soon,
      Marianne

      Delete