Monday 17 April 2023

Abulhawa, Susan "Against the Loveless World"


Abulhawa, Susan "Against the Loveless World" - 2020

I've read many books about the conflict in Israel/Palestine and the more I read about it, the more upset I get. I grew up with the story that the Palestinians were terrorists who were just out to destroy the Jews. Unfortunately, the story is not that easy.

This was probably one of the toughest books I read on the subject. A Palestinian woman, born outside of her country to refugee parents, who is imprisoned for fighting for her freedom and that of her people. I try to see both sides but that's not easy. Yes, the Jews had to flee Europe. But they did to the Palestinians exactly what had been done to them, chased them out of their houses, out of their country. Shouldn't they know better?

It's even worse for women - well, when is it ever better for women in any situation? Susan Abulhawa is a fantastic author, this is her third book I've been reading and it won't be the last.

Let's just hope that many people read this book who can change something. Although, I very much doubt it.

From the back cover:

"Nahr sits in an Israeli prison. Many in the world outside call her a terrorist; and just as many call her a revolutionary, a hero. But the truth is more complicated …

She was named for the river her mother crossed when she fled Israel's invasion of Palestine, and grew up into a girl who carried in her bone the desperation of being a refugee.

She was a woman who went to Palestine, and found books, friends, politics - and a purpose.

Nahr sits in her cell, and tells her story.
"

Other books by her that I read:
"Mornings in Jenin" (aka The Scar of David) - 2010
"The Blue Between Sky and Water" - 2015

4 comments:

  1. The more I read about Israel and Palestine the more complicated and heartbreaking the situation gets. This sounds like a very powerful read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the same, Lark. And yes, one of the most powerful ones I read about this topic. And I read quite a few.

      Delete
  2. It is such a complex situation in Israel and Palestine. I loved her Mornings in Jenin, and am eager to read more from her. It is seldom you get the personal aspects of situations like these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Lisbeth.
      I think Susan Abulhawa gives one of the most personal accounts on this topic. I also loved both "Mornings in Jenin" and
      "The Blue Between Sky and Water". This is a lot more complex and frightening.

      Delete