Saturday 1 April 2023

Spell the Month in Books ~ April

    

Reviews from the Stacks

I found this on one of the blogs I follow, Books are the New Black who found it at One Book More. It was originally created by Reviews from the Stacks, and the idea is to spell the month using the first letter of book titles.

This month, we have a Freebie. And I chose "unusual titles"

April: Freebie

Since there are only five letters, I thought I might go for books with just one word in the title and found some with rather unusual ones. Or do you use the words Anathem, Pachinko, Ragnarok, Inkheart of Labyrinth often? 😉

APRIL

A
Stephenson, Neal "Anathem" - 2008
The expression denotes a condemnation by a church that is associated with the exclusion from the ecclesial community. A science fiction book that takes place on the planet Arbre.
(I have used this one before but it is such a great title for this topic.)

P
Lee, Min Jin "
Pachinko" - 2017
This is a Japanese mechanical game that is mainly situated in game arcades.

R
Byatt, A.S. "
Ragnarok. The End of the Gods" - 2011
In Norse mythology, Ragnarök is a series of events, battles, deaths of numerous great figures, natural disasters, and the submersion of the world in water. I'd compare it to our Apocalypse.

I
Funke, Cornelia "Inkheart" (GE: Tintenherz) - 2003  
A book about magic and the middle ages where people believed in it. And - more importantly - a book. There is a beautiful library and some interesting characters that make the story gripping.

L
Mosse, Kate "Labyrinth" - 2005
A story about history and architecture, a story that spans over 800 years. Historical events from the 13th century are described. And probably the only title that means something to more than a few people.

Happy Reading!
📚 📚 📚

13 comments:

  1. Great choice of titles, unusual indeed. I have read Labyrint and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisbeth. Since we didn't have a theme, I had to find one myself but it was fun.

      Delete
  2. Love the unusual titles you were able to find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. I was surprised to find enough for the month.

      Delete
  3. What great choices! I had heard of two of the books, but not of Labyrinth or Ragnarök, both of which sound really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gypsi. Ragnarök is not my favourite by A.S. Byatt but it gives a good view about the Norse mythology. And it fitted so well into this topic. Labyrinth, well, the name is not the most obscure one but I thought it would go well, also. I quite liked it. So, hopefully you can enjoy one of them.

      Delete
  4. There's another book called Labyrinth by Australian author AManda Lohrey, it won our most prestigious prize, the Miles Franklin Award.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose those might not be the only ones with that title but I'll definitely look it up. Thanks, Lisa.

      Delete
    2. Found it. I probably would not have chosen it for this because it says "The Labyrinth". Sounds interesting but is extremely expensive over here. Well, maybe I find a good copy some time.

      Delete
  5. I've only read Pachinko on your April list - a fascinating story - I've had it on our staff recommendations shelf at work on and off for the past few years, so I get say the word 'pachinko' fairly regularly :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Brona. When I first saw it, I had no idea what Pachinko was. But what a great story. One reads so rarely about the Korean-Japanese relations. And well done for recommending it at work.

      Delete
  6. Oh, and they're all one-word titles, too! Brava!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Davida. I think it was easier since we didn't have the subject they had to fit into.

      Delete