Thursday 27 April 2023

#ThrowbackThursday. Night

 

Wiesel, Elie (Eliezer Vizl) "Night" (French: La Nuit/Yiddish: Un di Velt Hot Geshvign)  - 1958

Elie Wiesel wrote this novel as a report about his life in the concentration camps Buchenwald and Auschwitz/Oswiecim.

Seldom did we agree more on a book than this time. We thought it was shocking and unbelievable. The enormity, the plans, everything was so calculated. Horryfying to see what people are able to do. We could understand that people wouldn't believe it at the time because it is hard to believe even now.

We discussed this in our international book club in March 2007. We had a great discussion and it is definitely worth reading what all the members had to say (see here).  I also added a long list of other books about this topic there.

 Elie Wiesel received the Nobel Prize for Peace in 1986 as he "has emerged as one of the most important spiritual leaders and guides in an age when violence, repression and racism continue to characterise the world". It couldn't have gone to a more deserving recipient.

Read my original review here.

10 comments:

  1. This is one of those books that I think everyone should have to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reread this book in 2019 - whoa but have not read the two others in Wiesel's trilogy. Here is my review: https://www.thecuecard.com/books/a-june-bloom-of-reviews/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, either, Susan. Thanks for your link, I'll have a look.

      Delete
  3. Have you ever read anything by Viktor Frankl? He was also a Holocaust survivor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, Eva, I never even heard of him. :(

      Delete
  4. "Man's Search for Meaning" by him is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eva, I'll put it on my list. Meant to ask what you read but was in a hurry.

      Delete
  5. I read 'Night' ages ago and was profoundly moved by it. I would like to reread 'Night' again... In fact, reading the entire trilogy would be something I'd like to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a great idea, Lisa. I never read the other two. Thanks for your visit.

      Delete