Friday 21 April 2023

Stein, Gertrude "Paris France"

Stein, Gertrude "Paris France" - 1940

I had expected something else from this book. Childhood memories, there were very few. Observations about France, alright, you might call it that. But somehow I thought some stories about her salon might have been included, so that we could learn more about Gertrude Stein's life in France. Or hear an anecdote about Ernest Hemingway or one of the other frequent visitors, Pablo Picasso, for instance. Or Silvia Beach, Ezra Pound, F. Scott Fitzgerald, any of her famous friends.

I didn't dislike the book, though. Her style is quite unique, in German we have the expression "she talks without full stop and comma" and that's exactly what she does. For example, here is an excerpt:
"An American who had read as far as this as far as it had been written said to me, but you do not mention the relation of french men to french men, of french men to french women of french women to french women of french women to french children of french men to french children of french children to french children."

One thing did puzzle me, though. The book is supposedly from 1940 but she often mentions things she could only have known after the end of the war, like, how many people were killed from the village she lived in. Or, even when the war ended. How can that be?

I did like her way to describe the French, though. I have always met them as nice, friendly people who love their food and love their history. Well, the food is good but - in my opinion - the food in Belgium is a lot better. And I know what the French will say to that: Quel affront!

I read this as part of the "Read the Year" club.

From the back cover:

"Published in 1940, on the day that Paris fell to the Germans, Paris France blends Stein's childhood memories of Paris with trenchant observations about everything French. It is a witty fricassee of food and fashion, pets and painters, musicians, friends, and artists, served up with a healthy garnish of "Steinien" humor and self-indulgence. For readers who have previously considered Gertrude Stein to be a difficult or even unreadable author, Paris France provides a delightful window on her personal and unique world."

And here is a list of all the other 1940 books.

8 comments:

  1. Glad you liked this one even though there weren't any fun anecdotes about all those authors she knew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Lark, they wouldn't necessarily have had to be funny. Gossip does just as well. ;)

      Delete
    2. Very true! And I bet she knew a lot of it.

      Delete
    3. Yup. Maybe she wrote about it in another book. I'l have to investigate. Have a nice day, Lark.

      Delete
  2. I am not sure I can read a whole book with these kind of sentences. I guess we all would like to hear about her salon and life in Paris, instead of these things. Maybe more interesting to read Alice Toklas' memories of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's possible, Lisbeth. I didn't think it was difficult to read or anything, but I understand.

      Delete
  3. I guess someone edited her book and included events that happened after she wrote the book? Sounds like an interesting journal of Stein's.

    https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an idea, Harvee. I just thought they might have added another chapter that she wrote herself later and just didn't mention that. The style didn't change. It was only the date that was confusing and since it was my "1940" read, I was a little surprised to hear facts that she could not have known at the time.

      Delete