Saturday 1 April 2023

Six Degrees of Separation ~ From Born to Run to Number One in Heaven

 

#6Degrees of Separation:
from Born to Run to Number One in Heaven

#6Degrees is a monthly link-up hosted by Kate at Books Are My Favourite and Best. I love the idea. Thank you, Kate. See more about this challenge, its history, further books and how I found this here.

This month's prompt starts with Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen (Goodreads)

While I have not read the starter book, I have in my possession another book by the author which I dip in from time to time, just to enjoy ever single piece of it. I will use that as my starter book:

Obama, Barack; Springsteen, Bruce "Renegades: Born in the USA" - 2021 (Goodreads)
And since I read several books by his co-author of this edition, I have to mention one of my favourites by him:

Obama, Barack "A Promised Land" - 2020
So, I could have gone from here to his wife, Michelle Obama, to Hillary Clinton and her daughter, Jo Biden, Kamala Harris, I read books by all of them. Or books about other politicians from other countries.

But I thought, I'd stay with music:

Dylan, Bob "Chronicles. Volume One" - 2004
There is even a link between the two authors,
Barack Obama the Nobel Prize for Peace in 2009, Bob Dylan received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2016. Totally deserved.

And while I list a book by probably the greatest singer-songwriter of all times, I really have to mention my favourite. Neil Diamond wrote the soundtrack to the film of this book:

Bach, Richard "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" - 1970
I should probably try to find a good biography about him. Any suggestions?

And to stay with music, this is a nice description of a musician who, at the height of his career, left one of the greatest bands at the time and emigrated to Spain:

Stewart, Chris "Driving over Lemons" - 1999
Chris Stewart was the drummer of Genesis. If he hadn't left, we might never have had Phil Collins, so that's the positive side of this.

Since I can't mention all the musicians I love and haven't read books about all of them, I still have to go to this great collection of
Rock & Pop icons that have left us far too early due to an untimely death:

Simmonds, Jeremy "Number One in Heaven - The Heroes Who Died For Rock 'n' Roll" - 2006
Apparently, the author worked eight years to put together all the facts, He didn’t miss anybody.

📚📚📚

The link between the first and the last book - as between most of them - is music.

4 comments:

  1. Brava for this musical chain! Really nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Davida. I'm glad you liked it. Hope others will enjoy it, as well. I liked yours.

      Delete
  2. Gosh, look at all those politicians you read! I'm amazed, here hardly anybody reads books by politicians, and when I review them, nobody takes any notice.

    (They're trying to tell me something, ha ha, but I don't care.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who's trying to tell you something, Lisa? The politicians or the people who read your blog?
      I think it's important to know what's going on around us but I must admit, that I mainly read books by politicians I like. Others get me too agitated. I wouldn't know what the outcome were if I read a book by 44+1. ;)

      Delete