Friday, 7 August 2026

Spell the Month in Books ~ August 2026


I found this on one of the blogs I follow, Books are the New Black who found it at One Book More. It was originally created by Reviews from the Stacks, and the idea is to spell the month using the first letter of book titles.

August: Foreign Books

We can choose our own topics now. I was trying to get some inspiration and since I often read books by foreign authors (either in their language, or in mine, or in English), this was my idea. I use the first letter in the original title. And I was happy when I found six different languages.

AUGUST
A
Nietzsche was a German philosopher of the late 19th century. So this is a philosophical book. The title itself is mere poetry. Even for non-German speakers, it sounds magical, or at least it should.
U
Petterson, Per "Out Stealing Horses" (NO: Ut og stjæle hester) - 2003
 A man reflects on his life. After his wife dies, a man goes back to a place he spent a summer in his youth. He is coming to terms with so many events in his life. Death, divorce, tragedies, growing up, growing old.
G
Toptaş, Hasan Ali "The Shadowless" (TR: Gölgesizler) - 1995
On the back of my book the author is described as an oriental Kafka enriched with Islamic mystic. I don't remember liking Kafka much when I had to read him in school but I do agree with the description and like the author anyway.
I would describe this novel as a mixture between fantasy and the historical description of life in Turkey. 
U
Murakami, Haruki "Kafka on the Shore" (J: 海辺のカフカ Umibe no Kafuka) - 2004
I had no idea this book was kind of a fantasy or at least magic realism story. 
The protagonist runs away from home in order to get away from everything and starts a new life in a library. A weird book but quite enjoyable.
S
Abdolah, Kader "My Father’s Notebook" (NL: Spijkerschrift) - 2000
The author manages to transport us to the country of his birth, not just in place but also in time. He tells us about the changes during the decades that he lived there.
T
Andersson, Per J. "From the Swede who took the train and saw the world with different eyes" (aka Take the train: on the track through history, present and future) (SW: Ta tåget: på spåret genom historien, samtiden och framtiden) - 2019
It thought this was a description of the author's travels. And it is, in a way. But it was more a description of his time on the train in order to get to the places rather than about the places itself.
It starts by the author travelling by train with his parents as a little child. It includes a description of his grandparents who worked for the train company in Sweden. Then he goes on how he travelled as a teenager by interrail and later with his children when they reached that age. 
* * *

Happy Reading!

📚 📚 📚

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is an unusual and cool way to do the meme. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane. Since we have to come up with our own topics, I try to be a little adventurous.

      Delete