Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Ghosh, Amitav "The Hungry Tide"


Ghosh, Amitav "The Hungry Tide" - 2004

I have read a few books by Amitav Ghosh (see here) and loved them all. So, I was looking forward to this one. It is also great, just not as great as the others.

Maybe there was too much biology in the book to my liking. 

I did like the history of the settlers in the Bay of Bengals and all the problems they encountered. And of the hospital that was started by an immigrant. I could have done without the whole dolpin story.

But that won't keep me from reading another book by Amitav Ghosh. If you have a favourite, please, let me know.

I also loved that they had a map in the book. However, it only shows the real life places, I would have loved an indication as to where the fictitious ones were.

From the back cover:

"From the author of the international bestseller The Glass Palace, The Hungry Tide is a novel of adventure and romance set in the exotic Sundarbans -- treacherous islands in the Bay of Bengal where isolated inhabitants live in fear of drowning tides and man-eating tigers. A headstrong young American arrives in this lush landscape to study a rare species of river dolphin. She enlists the aid of a local fisherman and a translator, and soon their fates on the waterways will be determined by the forces of nature and human folly."

No comments:

Post a Comment