Tuesday 9 June 2015

Patchett, Ann "The Magician’s Assistant"


Patchett, Ann "The Magician’s Assistant" - 1997

I read this book years ago with my book club in England (so at least 15 years ago) and I don't remember much about it. Only that it didn't invite me to read more books by this author. Maybe it was too "fantastic" for me. I have read "The Patron Saint of Liars"  in the meantime and maybe I should go back to this book or at least read more novels by this author because I really liked the other one.

From the back cover: 
 
"Sabine - twenty years a magician’s assistant to her handsome, charming husband - is suddenly a widow. In the wake of his death, she finds he has left a final trick; a false identity and a family allegedly lost in a tragic accident but now revealed as very much alive and well. Named as heirs in his will, they enter Sabine’s life and set her on an adventure of unraveling his secrets, from sunny Los Angeles to the windswept plains of Nebraska, that will work its own sort of magic on her."

We discussed this in our British Book Club in January 2000.

I did read "The Patron Saint of Liars" by Ann Patchett in the meantime and I liked it a lot better.

4 comments:

  1. I did like this book, but anything about magic always intrigues me. I'm reading Still Alice about the Harvard professor with early onset Alzheimer, it's very good. Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is part of the problem I had with this book, Janet, I'm not keen on magic, fantasy, science fiction, anything "paranormal". I did like "The Patron Saint of Liars", though, but will only publish my review once we had our book club meeting.

      Have a good day,
      Marianne

      Delete
  2. I liked this one too though it took me two tries to get into it. That it was partially set in Los Angeles drew me in and like Mac n' Janet, I always like magician stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might be part of the reason, as I explained to Janet. Once it gets too magical, it's not for me.

      Delete