Tuesday 22 September 2015

20 Classic And Important Books That Will Make You Feel Well-Read, Even If They're The Only Ones You Read


"Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace
"The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood
"A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggers
"Americanah" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
"The Complete Novels of Jane Austen"
"Moby Dick" by Herman Melville
"A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini
"The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck
"One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel García Márquez
"1984" by George Orwell
"Frankenstein" by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
"Beloved" by Toni Morrison
"The Joy Luck Club" by Amy Tan
"If on a Winter's Night a Traveler" by Italo Calvino
"Slaughterhouse-Five" by Kurt Vonnegut
"White Teeth" by Zadie Smith
"A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens
"The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald
"The Complete Persepolis" by Marjane Satrapi
"The Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka

An interesting article (read it here). The author claims that these are the most talked-about books at the moment. I don't know whether that's the truth.

Whether you just want to look well-read or actually want to be well-read, I think the list is not bad. I have read 17 books from this list with a few more on my wishlist and think it is a good list to start broadening your reading experience. Give it a go. Try one of them. You can read my links to see which one might be the best one for you to start. Or you can tell me your favourite reading and I'll recommend one of them to you.

Happy Reading

2 comments:

  1. I've read 9 of them, but I've seen better lists than this. I sometimes think the emphasis on such lists is diversity of authors rather than the books themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a lot of great lists, just thought this was interesting as to what it claims, if you want to look well read nowadays, you should have read these. I don't know whether I'd totally agree, I never mind having to admit I haven't read a famous book even though it doesn't happen very often. Maybe that's the difference. ;)

      Anyway, if you are interested in more "professional" lists, I have a lot on my page under "Other List", though, knowing you, I'm sure you already are aware of that.

      And if there is one you really like, let me know.

      Happy Reading,
      Marianne

      Delete