Monday 29 August 2022

Kafka, Franz "The Metamorphosis"


Kafka, Franz "The Metamorphosis" (German: Die Verwandlung) - 1912

Kafka was one of the writers I had to read in school and I found terrifying to read. Especially this story here. That was probably the first step that put any "fantastic literature" on my negative list.

I can't relate to that kind of idea. At the time, I even wished that Kafka's friend, who had promised him to destroy all his works after Kafka's death, had fulfilled this. Unfortunately, he didn't, and so students have to struggle forever and ever with reading his stories.

What does the author want to tell us with this story? No idea. And I really don't want to know either.

From the back cover:

"One morning, traveling salesman Gregor Samsa wakes from an anxious dream to discover that he has inexplicably changed into a monstrous insect. Nonetheless, life goes on, and poor Gregor is left to deal not only with the existential questions of who or what he now is but also with more mundane concerns: his job (which he fears he’ll lose), his loved ones (whom he fears he disgusts), and the daily indignities of everyday life (which continue apace). Soon, even those who sympathize with his bizarre predicament begin to lose their patience…

A darkly comic examination of social mores, family dynamics, and the nature of identity itself, Kafka’s unsettling masterpiece has inspired a century of literary debate and interpretive theories. But its enduring power lies in the simplicity of its audacious premise, its deadpan surrealism, and its humane sensitivity.
"

10 comments:

  1. I tried to get into Kafka a few times decades ago but failed each time. Just too strange I guess, or maybe I was just too young to appreciate it/them/him? Not sure if I'll try again......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I, Kitten. We had to read him in school and I usually liked all the classics but Kafka, he is just not for me.

      Delete
  2. It's been forever since I read this story. It's such a sad one; I felt so bad for Gregor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's exactly what Kafka intended, Lark. But it was all a bit too weird for me.

      Delete
  3. Haha. I enjoyed reading your review! I remember reading and reviewing The Metamorphosis. It made me want to read more Kafka!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad at least someone enjoys his writings, Lectrice. Thanks for the link.

      Delete
  4. I have the ambition to read all his books, since they are not that many. However, I agree with you, they are not the most positive books you can find. I don't like insects so I am not sure whether I can actually read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends how much you don't like insects. I mean, most people don't like insects but don't have a phobia. If your fears are big, I wouldn't recommend it, Lisbeth.
      But no, I would rather read ten difficult books with more than a thousand pages each than one further novella by Kafka.

      Delete
    2. I get it Marianne, you don't like Kafka. I will probably agree with you.

      Delete
    3. I suppose it's you, Lisbeth. And we'll see what you think after you read a story or two. You never know. You might even like them.

      Delete