Thursday 11 August 2022

#ThrowbackThursday. Love in the Time of Cholera

García Márquez, Gabriel "Love in the Time of Cholera" (Spanish: El amor en los tiempos del cólera) - 1985

We came to the conclusion in our book club that it is difficult for us Western European women to understand a Latin American man. We still liked this novel, the style of the book but not the characters which made it difficult to like the book on the whole. We still hate it when a woman doesn’t have control of her life.

We discussed this in our international book club in November 2008.

Read my original review here.

8 comments:

  1. I have a number of Marquez's works in my TBR. Only read one, so far, which was '100 Years of Solitude' which I found pretty amazing - if a little like eating very rich chocolate cake for 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great comparison, Kitten. His other books are just as great.

      Delete
  2. I know my views of life and women and relationships differ greatly from those of a Latin American man in many ways. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's for sure, Lark. I am glad our men here have learned. Well, a lot of them. But we don't have to put up with those that haven't.

      Delete
  3. I have never read Love in the Time of Cholera, but it's one of my best friend's favorite book ever.

    Hmmmm... maybe here in South Africa we also struggle to understand Latin American men. I've read 100 years of solitude, but years ago. Need to read it again!

    Hope you had a good weekend and good luck with your upcoming week.

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you enjoyed 100 Years of Solitude, you will probably also enjoy Love in the Time of Cholera, Mareli. I really like this author.

      Delete
  4. Even though it has flawed characters, this is such a great book. So glad I finally read it recently

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely flawed characters but that's probably the greatness of it. Books about nice people are often boring, don't you think, Emma?

      Delete