Friday 26 August 2022

Book Quotes of the Week

 

"Curiosity is what lets a young mind grow and keeps an old mind young." Kelley Armstrong, Sea of Shadows

There is a lot of truth in that. Curiosity makes us more educated and hopefully better people.


"The internet is amazing because it connects us with one another. But it’s also horrific because … it connects us with one another." Felicia Day,
You're Never Weird on the Internet.

As everything, it has its pros and cons. In general, I believe the pros win but some days I have my doubts.


"A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus:
1. What am I trying to say?
2. What words will express it?
3. What image or idiom will make it clearer?
4. Is this image fresh enough to have an effect?
And he will probably ask himself two more.
5. Could I put it more shortly?
6. Have I said anything that is avoidably ugly?
George Orwell

Some good thoughts that should always be considered, and not just for authors but by everyone, especially for those bullies and trolls on the internet.

Find more book quotes here.

8 comments:

  1. Definitely agree with Ms Armstrong - even if I identify with cats (maybe) too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where would we be if we weren't curious? Well, maybe we wouldn't have global warming but there are a lot of other things we wouldn't have either.

      Delete
    2. Very true [grin]. Naturally I have a few books on that very subject - Curiosity (and a few on Global Warming too).

      Delete
    3. They are certainly good ones.

      Delete
  2. The Felicia Day quote made me smile; that book of hers was so fun to read! I really enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so true. Like most things, the internet has a good and a bad side.

      Delete
  3. Haha. I like the quote by Felicia Day, and now I'd like to read her memoir "You're Never Weird on the Internet!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good, doesnt't it, Lectrice. I also thought this might be interesting.

      Delete