Monday 1 August 2022

Spell the Month in Books ~ August 2022

I found this on one of the blogs I follow, Books are the New Black who found it at One Book More. It was originally created by Reviews from the Stacks, and the idea is to spell the month using the first letter of book titles.

AUGUST

A
Stephenson, Neal "Anathem" - 2008
A science fiction/dystopian literature mix. Around the year 3,000 on the planet Arbre. All the names they use come from some earthly words, this one meaning tree, of course. People have split up into two different kind of societies, a monastery-like world and the more worldly people. The latter are the scientists who study all sorts of different things, any science we know about - and probably more.

U
Mayes, Frances
"Under the Tuscan Sun" - 1996
One of the many books written by people who left their (mostly European) home to settle in the South. This was not my favourite because I had the feeling the author looked down on the people of her new home.

G
Sobel, Dava "Galileo's Daughter" - 2000
This is more about Galileo himself than about his daughter. However, the life Galileo led is portrayed very well. He was a brilliant mind - and so was his daughter.

U
Krakauer, Jon "Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith" - 2003
Not my favourite book about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) or Mormons. A non-fiction book that tried to be written like a novel. The author didn't achieve that goal.

S
Austen, Jane
"Sanditon" - 1817
Fragment of a novel with a very promising beginning of another Austen novel, the characters well depicted, the scenes worked out beautifully, you can tell that there are going to be a few problems along the way that need solving. Unfortunately, the author died before she could finish it. What a shame.

T
Aleichem, Scholem "Tevye the Dairyman" (yidd: Tewje, der Milchiger טבֿיה דער מילכיקער, Jidd. und טוביה החולב, Hebr.)
- 1894-1916
The original book of one of my favourite movies "Fiddler on the Roof". This is not just the story of Tevye and his wife Golde but even more that of their daughters Tzeitel, Hodel, Chawa, Shprintze, Teibel and Beijke. I love the language in the book.

📚 📚 📚

As you can see, I didn't just use books I loved this time but also some others. I guess, the closer we will get to the end of the year, the more will I have to fall back on some of those.

Still, I invite you all to read all of my reviews and discuss them with me. Have you read any of the books I listed? Did you like them or not?

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on finding two books with titles that start with U for this month's post, even if you didn't love reading either one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are too many "U"s in the months, Lark. I already spent the good ones in January, February, June and July.
      Luckily, these were the two last ones this year. LOL

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the August introduction of new books to me. I like how you mix the genres. Have a happy August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisbeth. I like how many of the bloggers like the variety of books I present and I know I have inspired some readers to broaden their horizon. Which I love for myself.
      And a happy August to you, too.

      Delete
  3. Austen's works are wonderful and I have read most of her popular books. I actually might like to read Sandition even though it isn't finished. I don't even know what's it about but I keep hearing about it and I think there is also a show. I'm sure it has wit and humor or something interesting.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lissa. True. The most disappointing part of Sanditon is that it is sooooo short and there is so much more to expect. The series is not bad, the authors have had a hard task to complete the story but they've done pretty well, it's as good as any JA adaptation. I hope you can enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. Nice. I'm not going to do September though. Sorry you're having so much trouble putting up comments on Wordpress... I'm afraid there have been tons of glitches with comments with them lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Davida. I know we can't do all the challenges that ther are.
      Yes, it's such a nuisance, especially sind I really like your posts and often would like to contribute to them. I hope that "glitch" will solve itself soon, it's been on long enough.

      Delete