Monday 16 November 2020

Non-fiction November - Week 2

 
Leann from Shelf Aware and Julie from julzreads have given Non-fiction November a new twist.

They encourage us to not only read a non-fiction book this month but also to look at non-fiction books in general.

This week, we need to pair up a nonfiction book with a fiction title. "It can be a 'If you loved this book, read this!' or just two titles that you think would go well together. Maybe it's a historical novel and you'd like to get the real history by reading a nonfiction version of the story."

I had to think immediately about a book I read ages ago with my book club. It was called "Tulip Fever" (and has been made into a film in the meantime). There was a recommendation to read some background information books, and I read two non-fiction books about tulips and the history of the phenomenon called "tulipomania". One concentrates more on the flower itself, the other one on the craze that ruined many lives in 1630's Holland, especially Amsterdam.

This was instigated by our Classics Club reading challenge. I found them through Words and Peace. Thank you.

8 comments:

  1. Great recommendations. I absolutely loved Mike Dash's Tulipomania, so interesting. I have also read Tulip Fever, and I saw the film. I found it was ok, but well covered life at the time. I have not read Anna Pavord, so will put it on my wishlist.
    When we were in Amsterdam we visited the Tulipomania museum, and it was interesting as well. After the books, museum and a visit to Keukenhof, I am now a fanatic tulip fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like Anna Pavord's book, as well, then.

      And I can't imagine anyone visiting the Netherlands and not become a tulip fan. Even in the South, where I lived, they were everywhere.

      Happy Reading.

      Delete
  2. That is a good pair up! I think I dreamed of tulips last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before or after you read my post? LOL

      But thanks, I did read them as a background information to the novel, so I thought about these books right away when I saw the topic.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You're welcome, Carol. I'm glad so many people love tulips.

      Delete
  4. Fascinating and original. I don't think I have ever read much about tulips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read much about flowers. But if you live in the Netherlands, you can't get around tulips. And my book club read the novel, that's how I got interested.

      Thanks for your comment. Happy Reading.

      Delete