Monday 30 November 2020

Non-fiction November - Week 5

  

Leann from Shelf Aware and Julie from julzreads have given Non-fiction November a new twist.

They encourage us to not only read a non-fiction book this month but also to look at non-fiction books in general.

It's the end of November and also the end of Non-fiction November. To round this up, Leann from Shelf Aware has published a podcast. If you're interested, have a listen here.

Also, she has done a photo challenge. It wasn't my month, so I didn't take any pictures but I have read so many non-fiction books over the years that I thought I'll give you a list instead. Some of the books are older, that's when I haven't read a book in 2020 that fits into the category.

1.    TBR
Crafts, Hannah "The Bondwoman’s Narrative" - 1855-69
2.    2020 Fav
Taylor, Helen "Why Women Read Fiction. The Stories of Our Lives" - 2019
3.    Biography/Auto
Khorsandi, Shappi "A Beginner's Guide to Acting English" - 2009
4.    Own Voices
Booth, Cathleen "Mercy & Grace on the Camino de Santiago" - 2020
5.    Humour
Ephron, Nora "I Feel Bad About My Neck And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman" - 2006
6.    Technology
Hawking, Stephen "A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang to Black Holes" - 1988
7.    How To
Sanders, Ella Frances "Lost in Translation. An Illustrated Compendium of Untranslatable Words from Around the World" - 2014
8.    Shelfie
Some cook books, some other non-fiction books

9.    Writing
Campbell, Jen "The Bookshop Book" - 2014
10.    Birth
I have two children and two of my nieces have given birth this year but I haven't read a non-fiction book about birth for ages.
11.    Literary Bio
Lindgren, Astrid "Samuel August from Sevedstorp and Hanna from Hult aka A Love Story" (Swedish: En kärlekshistoria: Samuel August från Sevedstorp och Hanna i Hult) - 1975
12.    Business
Bythell, Shaun "The Diary of a Bookseller" - 2017
13.    Psychology
Nietzsche, Friedrich "Beyond Good and Evil: Prelude to a Philosophy of the Future/On the Genealogy of Morality" (German: Jenseits von Gut und Böse. Vorspiel einer Philosophie der Zukunft/Zur Geneologie der Moral) - 1886
14.    True Crime
Yousafzai, Malala; Lamb, Christina "I am Malala. The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban" - 2013
15.    Nature
Bryson, Bill "The Body. A Guide for Occupants" - 2019
16.    Parenting
Gilbreth, Frank + Gilbreth Carey, Elizabeth "Cheaper by the Dozen" and "Belles on their Toes" - 1948/1950
17.    Education
Mortenson, Greg & Bryan, Mike "Stones into Schools: Promoting Peace with Books, Not Bombs, in Afghanistan and Pakistan" - 2009
18.    Literary Memoir
Russell, Helen "The Year of Living Danishly: My Twelve Months Unearthing the Secrets of the World's Happiest Country" - 2015
19.    Comfort Read
Tung, Debbie "Book Love" - 2019
20.    Medical
Levy, Andrew "A Brain Wider Than The Sky: A Migraine Diary" - 2009
21.    Animals/Pets
Solstad, Lexidh "Catpasity" - 2015
22.    Mental Health
Coory, Kasey "Pious Evil. Condemn not my Children. A mother's journey to insanity" - 2014
23.    Fav Author
Bryson, Bill "Notes from a Small Island" - 1995
24.    Community
Harari, Yuval Noah "Sapiens. A Brief History of Mankind" (Hebrew: קיצור תולדות האנושות/Ḳizur Toldot Ha-Enoshut) - 2014
25.    Relationships
Biden, Joe "Promise Me, Dad. A Year of Hope, Hardship, and Purpose" - 2017
26.    Food
Collister, Linda; Berry, Mary; Hollywood, Paul "Great British Bake Off: How to Bake: The Perfect Victoria Sponge and Other Baking Secrets" - 2011
27.    Death/Afterlife
Weidermann, Volker "Summer Before the Dark: Stefan Zweig and Joseph Roth, Ostend 1936" (German: Ostende - 1936, Sommer der Freundschaft) - 2014
28.    Organization
Kristof, Nicholas; WuDunn, Sheryl "A Path Appears: Transforming Lives, Creating Opportunity" - 2014
29.    Rainbow
Top Ten Tuesday ~ Top Ten Books with Colours In the Titles
30.    Boost a Book
Most of my favourite non-fiction books of the year have already found their way onto this list. So, I'll go with one of my favourite authors, even though that book is not a new one. And, it's his only non-fiction book I've read so far.
Pamuk, Orhan "Istanbul - Memories of a City" (Turkish: İstanbul: Hatıralar ve Şehir) - 2003


I know, I know, some of them seem a little far-fetched but those are the closest I could find to the themes. I would love to see your suggestions.

Note to self: Read more self-help books so I can find some better examples next year (we all know that's NOT going to happen, though).

2 comments:

  1. The best self help I have found is reading books about the world, not self help books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. I just can't cope with those kind of books that promise you paradise if only ... If they do anything for me, they just make me more gloomy.

      As I said, not going to happen. Not this year, not next year, not ever. I have learned a lot from books, fiction and non-fiction, but not from the self-help section.

      Delete