Saturday 24 December 2022

🎄 Merry Christmas 🎄

🎄🎄🎄

When visiting Bremen for the Christmas market, we came upon this pretty traffic light. The interesting thing was that only the green light showed Father Christmas, the red light was the usual one. I guess they don't want Father Christmas to stop.

🎄🎄🎄

Last week, we went to a special Christmas concert by a wonderful German a capella group called Maybebop. They presented their latest Christmas CD and one of my favourite Christmas songs ever is on there: The First Noel. If you want to listen to it, here is a live video.

And here they present the different songs that are on the CD (little snippets with lots of German in between, if you understand German, it also shows you how funny the group is).

🎄📚🎄

I wish all my blogger and reading friends lots and lots of books under the Christmas tree.

🎄🎄🎄

🎼 The First Noël,
The First Noël the Angels did say
Was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay
In fields where they lay keeping their sheep
On a cold winter's night that was so deep
Noël Noël Noël Noël
Born is the King of Israel!

🎼 They looked up and saw a star
Shining in the East beyond them far
And to the earth it gave great light
And so it continued both day and night
Noël Noël Noël Noël
Born is the King of Israel!

🎼 And by the light of that same star
Three Wise men came from country far
To seek for a King was their intent
And to follow the star wherever it went
Noël Noël Noël Noël
Born is the King of Israel!

🎼 This star drew nigh to the northwest
O'er Bethlehem it took it's rest
And there it did both Pause and stay
Right o'er the place where Jesus lay
Noël Noël Noël Noël
Born is the King of Israel!

🎼 Then let us all with one accord
Sing praises to our heavenly Lord
That hath made Heaven and earth of nought
And with his blood mankind hath bought
Noël Noël Noël Noël
Born is the King of Israel!

Noël Noël Noël Noël
Born is the King
Born is the King
Born is the King of Israel!

🎄🎄🎄

The song has Cornish origins and is from the late Middle Ages. Still beautiful.

🎄🎄🎄

"Wishing you all a season full of light and laughter for you and your family."

19 comments:

  1. Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and a wonderful new year, my dear friend ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was me, Ruthellen, commenting above ☝🏼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruthellen. Nice to hear from you here. I hope the same for you.

      Delete
  3. Merry Christmas, Marianne! I hope your home is filled with lots of laughter, joy, family, friends...and good books. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lark. Yes, it was indeed. With all of the above.
      Hope you had a great Christmas, too.

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas Marianne! I hope you and your family are having a fun one. LOVE the traffic light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Kitten, it was just too cute not to use for Christmas. We had a great time. It's not often that both the boys make it over, so it was wonderful.

      Delete
  5. Frohe Weinachten and all the best. Lisbeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God Jul, Lisbeth. Hope you had a wonderful one.

      Delete
  6. This is one of my favourite Christmas hymns, as well. The last verse is beautiful :

    "Then let us all with one accord
    Sing praises to our heavenly Lord
    That hath made Heaven and earth of nought
    And with his blood mankind hath bought
    Noël Noël Noël Noël
    Born is the King of Israel!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Lectrice. I don't just love the melody, the lyrics are also the greatest. Hope you had a good time.

      Delete
  7. Cute traffic light! I hope you had a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, AJ, I just had to share it. Our Christmas was great, hope the same for you.

      Delete
  8. I love that trafflc light. So festive!

    The First Noel is a great one. My favorite is O Holy Night. I love that there are so many beautiful Christmas carols to help us celebrate the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I, Susan. I just had to take a picture!!!

      I also like O Holy Night. And yes, there are so many beautiful around in many languages. Always a great time of the year.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. Honestly, I just found this in my spam folder which I check every couple of days. I swear it wasn't there the last time I checked. They had also moved other comments there that I had written myself and that I know appeared on the blog. So weird.

      Anyway, this is an occasion to wish you a very happy new year again.

      Delete
  10. This is a beautiful post, Marianne. I wish you a Merry Christmas full of light, laughter and literature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting, C&B. I try to write something different, every year but I gave you the wrong link. Still, I am glad you liked this.
      Happy Jólabókaflóð!

      Delete