Saturday 31 December 2022

Statistics 2022

  

My statistics for the last years are here:
Going back to 2009-12, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
 
And these are the results of my reading lists for 2022:

* Statistics 2022 *
 
I did 286 posts in 2022 which was more than in any year before.

My regular posts are either weekly (Book Quotes, Top Ten, ThrowBack Thursday,
Wordless Wednesday) or monthly (Happy Month), so I posted more or less the amount of weeks or months in a year.
Book Quotes of the Week (38 posts)
Happy Month (12)
Top Ten Tuesday (45)
ThrowBack Thursday (48)
Wordless Wednesday
(9)

I didn't join any new challenges but carried on with these:
Six Degrees of Separation (12)
Spell the Month in Books (12)
10 Year Challenge Book Tag
I started my blog in 2011 and I started this in 2021. This year, I carried on with 2012.
Mid Year Freak-Out Tag
It's more or less a statistic for the first half of the year. I had read 36 books by the end of July and now there are 82.

But I also did some other tags (see here):
The Last Book I … Book Tag
The Book Blogger Memory Challenge Book Tag
Alphabet This or That
Ice Cream Book Tag
100 Questions No One Ever Asks ~ Part 1
100 Questions No One Ever Asks ~ Part 2

Same as last year, I also participated in Non-fiction November.

And then there are, of course, all the challenges I have done over the years.
I read books that contributed to the following challenges. Some of them count for more than one category:

Challenges (number of books read for the challenges in brackets)
The 100 best Non-fiction Books of All Time as Chosen by The Guardian (0)
The Classics Club (37): The Classics Spin (3)
3 for the Classics Spin, 37 in total
Some of these were classic books that I read earlier but only reviewed this year.
Dutch and French Books (1 Dutch, 3 French)
Emma's Book Club - Our shared shelf (0)
An ever growing list of books about and for women, a group started by Emma Watson (better known as Hermione Granger), UN Woman Goodwill Ambassador.
Esperanto Books (0)
We read mostly short stories.
Favourite (German) Independent Books (1)
(Das Lieblingsbuch der Unabhängigen = The Favourite Book of the Independents)
German Books (20)
Le Monde - The 100 Books of the Century (0)
My Favourite Books Ever (15)
Every year I find some more books I can add to my list of favourite books. 16 this year.
Nobel Peace Prize (1)
Nobel Prize Winners and Their Books (5)
Oprah's Book Club (1)
Oscar Winning Books (0)
Paris in July (3)
Peace Prize of the German Book Trade (1)

(German: Friedenspreis des Deutschen Buchhandels)
Read the Year Club (2)
We read 1954 and 1929 this year. It's a good idea to add some reads from former years that we might not have touched before.
Reading Challenge - Chunky Books 2022 (11)
I read 11 chunky books in 2022 of which 3 are considered a chunkster.
Reading the World (1)
Suggestions from Friends (0)
I read suggestions from friends all the time, just haven't kept up with who recommended which book.
The non-western books that every student should read (0)
The only thing I miss from our old place is the library that would get me any book I wanted. Not so easy here where we only have a small church library and they only get the biggest best-sellers. And all of them in German only, of course.
Top Ten Tuesday
I took part in 45 of the challenges, this is a great way of reminiscing or planning your reads.
Travel the World Through Books (1)

Some of the challenges are older and I only add to them if I happen to read one of the books.

Book Club 2017 etc. (13)
German Book Club (5)
I joined a German book club in June and we read these books so far:
Myers, Benjamin "The Offing" - Offene See - 2019
Owens, Delia "Where the Crawdads Sing" - Der Gesang der Flusskrebse - 2018
Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von (Goethe English) "Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship" - Wilhelm Meisters Lehrjahre - 1795/96
Schlink, Bernhard "Colours of Good-bye" - Abschiedsfarben - 2020
Schroeder, Steffen "Was alles in einem Menschen sein kann. Begegnung mit einem Mörder" [What can be in a person. Encountering a murderer] - 2017

Esperanto Book Club (0)
Here, we read mostly short stories.

Books Read: 73
Pages read: 20,533
281 pages/book, 56 pages/day, 6 books/month
Last year I read 84 books with
41.067 pages which resulted in 489 pages/book, 113 pages/day, 7 books/month
This year, it's 73 books with 20,533 pages, so I obviously read less this year because my average book had 281 pages only.
The average novel contains between 140 and 320 pages, i.e. 230 which still gets me up to only 89 books, i.e. 11 less than my goal of 100. Maybe next year.

Books dating from which year:
Pre 1800s: 2
1800s: 6
1900-1949: 9
1950-1999: 13
2000s: 43 (4 of which from 2022)

Male Authors: 57
Female Authors: 31
Some are by several authors, so the number is not the exact number of books read.

Nobel Prize Winners: 5

Fiction: 54
Non-Fiction: 18

Chunky Books - more than 450 pages: 11, more than 750: 3
Library: 3
Re-Read: 1
TBR Pile: 39


Oldest Book: 1668
Molière (Jean-Baptiste Poquelin) "The Miser or The School for Lies" (F: L'Avare ou l’École du mensonge) - 1668
Newest Book: 2021
Orth, Stephan "Absolutely Locked Out" (GE: Absolutely Ausgesperrt) - 2022
Greywoode, Josephine (ed.) "Why We Read. 70 Writers on Non-Fiction" - 2022
Dobbert, Steffen "Ukraine verstehen: Geschichte, Politik und Freiheitskampf" [Understanding Ukraine: History, Politics and Struggle for Freedom] - 2022

Longest book: 784
Rutherfurd, Edward "China" - 2021
Shortest book: 37
Enquist, Anna "Mei" [May] - 2007
Longest book title: 25
Alvarez, Julia "In the Time of the Butterflies" - 1994
Shortest Book Title: 5
Rutherfurd, Edward "China" - 2021

Funniest Book:
Bythell, Shaun "Confessions of a Bookseller" - 2019
Saddest Book:
Alvarez, Julia "In the Time of the Butterflies" - 1994
Weirdest Book:
Abe, Kōbō (安部 公房) "Inter Ice Age 4" (J: 第四間氷期/Dai yon kan pyouki) - 1959
Most disappointing:
Erdrich, Louise "Tracks" - 1988

New author (for me) that I would like to read more from: 5
Sara Nisha Adams, Julia Alvarez, Ulrich Alexander Boschwitz, Mariana Leky, Maren Uthaug 


Translated Books:
7 from 5 languages
2 ea from Russian and Swedish
1 from Greek, Hungarian and Spanish

Books read in another language:
Dutch: 1
French: 3
German: 25

Numbers in Book Titles: 4, 12, 21; 88, 200, 488
Place Names in Book Titles: Babylon, Brideshead, China, Gilead, Kamusari, Milk Wood, Rum Doodle, Saudi Arabia, Solace, Ukraine, Winthrop

Names in Book Titles: Emil, Eskandar, Hannah, Humboldt, Jane Austen, Julia/Juliet, Medea, Nick, Romeo, Silas Marner, Shirley, Sommer, Wilhelm Meister

Colours in Book Titles:
Black, Scarlet

My Favourite Books: 14

Adams, Sara Nisha "The Reading List" - 2021
Boschwitz, Ulrich Alexander "The Passenger" aka "The Fugitive" (GE: Der Reisende) - 1939
Chevalier, Tracy "The Last Runaway" - 2013
Clinton, Hillary Rodham & Chelsea "The Book of Gutsy Women: Favourite Stories of Courage and Resilience" - 2019
Follett, Ken "The Evening and the Morning" (Kingsbridge #0.5) - 2020
Lawson, Mary "A Town Called Solace" - 2021 
Le Faye, Deirdre "Jane Austen, The World of Her Novels" - 2002
Leky, Mariana "What You Can See From Here" (GE: Was man von hier aus sehen kann) - 2017
Orth, Stephan "Absolulely Locked Out" (GE: Absolutely Ausgesperrt) - 2022
Owens, Delia "Where the Crawdads Sing" - 2018
Rutherfurd, Edward "China" - 2021
Shakib, Siba "Eskandar" (GE: Eskandar) - 2009
Uthaug, Maren "Before there were Birds" (DK: Hvor der er fugle/Hannahs Lied) - 2017
Weiler, Jan "
And the puberty animal sleeps forever" (GE: Und ewig schläft das Pubertier) (Pubertiere #3) - 2017
 
With my books, I visited places in the following countries:
Africa (7):
Kenya, Liberia, Nigeria, Senegal, Somalia, South Africa, Tanzania
Asia (10 ½):
Burma, China, India, Iran, Iraq, Israel/Palestine, Japan, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, "Yogistan"
Australia/Oceania (1):
Australia

Europe (17):
Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom
North America (4):
Canada, Dominican Republic, Mexico,
South America (3):
Chile, Colombia, Guatemala,
Extra-terrestrial (0):
Countries "visited" in total: 42
½

Authors come from:
Africa (1):
Tanzania
Asia (4):
Iran, Israel, Japan, South Korea
Australia/Oceania (1):
Australia
Europe (12):
Austria, Bulgaria, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom
North America: (3):
Canada, Dominican Republic, USA
South America (1):
Peru

Author countries in total: 22

See also "My Year in Books" on Goodreads.

You may find some even greater statistics by better bloggers than me, e.g. at "Stuck in a Book".
 
If you want more information on any of the lists mentioned, please, let me know.

16 comments:

  1. I've not made any statistics but I'm always fascinated by them. I'm impressed that you read in other languages, I can only read English. I'm glad books are translated. I hope you enjoy more books in your future.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like reading other people's statistics, too, Lissa.
      We have to learn at least English in school but I lived in several different countries, so I got used to reading in those languages since it wasn't always easy to find many German or even English ones before the internet. But I am also very glad books get translated because we cannot possibly speak all languages and we cannot possibly expect everyone to read in other languages. This way, we can all enjoy a much larger culture than the one that is restricted to our language.

      And thanks for the wishes. I always enjoy my books but I suffer from heavy migraines and some years, I just don't get to read as much as I would like to. Still, I think I cannot complain.

      Delete
  2. Love this breakdown! What a great way to look at your year in reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah. I always enjoy doing that for myself and since I like to see other people's statistic, I have posted mine for years so others can hopefully enjoy mine. And I always find a book or two in the lists I find on other blogs.

      Delete
  3. That's one IMPRESSIVE list of stats [grin]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kitten. I've been doing it for ages, so there is always something to add to last year's.

      Delete
  4. Impressive! How long did it take you to compile this extensive list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lectrice. I did the first one in 2012 and have used that as a template every year. I more or less work on it all year long, note the books I read with the amount of pages, the years, etc. So, in the end, it's not all that much, maybe an hour or two.

      Delete
    2. Well, it's only putting together what I accumulated during the year. If I added the time I spent with that, it would be more. But since I do it after every book I read, I hardly notice.

      Delete
  5. Hi Marianne! Wow, that is one impressive lists of statistics for sure! I'm not very good with statistics, although I have a blog template that should actually do all of that for me... I just don't use it!

    I hope to take part on a more regular basis in weekly memes and linkups and perhaps less book tours. I have a few upcoming, but haven't entered any new ones. Will have to see!

    Happy New Year Marianne!!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mareli,
      we all do what we like, I have a background that just forces me to do lists. LOL
      If you don't enjoy them, you don't have to do them. I am the one who gets the most pleasure from my statistics, so I more or less do it for myself. If others like them, that's fine but if you don't want to do them, I wouldn't bother with it.
      I have not done much this year, I just don't have enough energy. And I guess, once I get back to regular blogging, I will post more about the books I currently read at first. Though there will be some memes, promise.

      Delete
  6. Wow! Impressive stats. I read more female authors than male. One of my goals for 2023 is to read more male authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy, I think I mostly read more male authors but was surprised that I read almost twice as many as females this year. So, maybe I ought to try and read more female ones next year.

      Delete
  7. Impressive statistics. I have to study them a little bit more in detail, and be inspired with my own. My stats will come when I return from Portugal. I did read 89 books from my shelves, and 109 books in all. I think my best year so far.
    Lisbeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisbeth, for mentioning your name because your post came up anonymous again.
      You have done well and I'm looking forward to your stats. Enjoy Portugal.

      Delete